DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Any Glide Business internet users out there - SFP Question

• ctluk
  • Topic Author
More
31 May 2022 15:51 #1 by ctluk
Hi,

I am looking to replace the god-awful router that Glide supply businesses with a 2962, the Glide provided router has a integral SPF so I can't swap that out but I wondered if anyone has successfully completely replaced the Glide router with a DrayTek and if so if they could let me know what make/model SPF they used and if they had an issues. The alternative is to put the Glide router into bridging mode but that really is a last resort because I'd never trust it to do it's job properly.

Thanks
Rob

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Jun 2022 00:40 #2 by hornbyp

CTLUK wrote:
the Glide provided router has a integral SPF so I can't swap that out

What do you mean?

In Networking terms, SPF is just a "TXT" entry in a DNS server somewhere - that Mail Servers can query to see if the connecting host is an allowed mail host for that domain...so not really anything to do with Routers.

Do you mean something other than "Sender Policy Framework" :?:

OSPF perhaps?

More
01 Jun 2022 08:57 #3 by piste basher
I assume the poster means an SFP optical network connector instead of copper ethernet?

More
01 Jun 2022 09:20 #4 by hornbyp

Piste Basher wrote:
I assume the poster means an SFP optical network connector instead of copper ethernet?

Ah - hadn't thought of that one - makes more sense :)

• ctluk
  • Topic Author
More
01 Jun 2022 09:28 #5 by ctluk
Sorry, yes Piste is correct I did mean SFP, and I can't even blame autocorrect this time :D

More
14 Jun 2022 11:32 #6 by richjg
Not a Glide customer I'm afraid, but I can confirm the generic 10Gtek 1G SFP's from Amazon etc work fine in the 2962 SFP port if that helps. I used their 1G SFP to RJ45 transceiver for a while (ASF-GE-T-EU).

The ONT from my FTTP provider has a 10G RJ45 socket, so I just ended up with a simple RJ45 patch from that to the WAN 1 / P1 port on the 2962. The 2962 P1 port is 'only' 2.5G, but it sync'd fine at 2.5G to the ONT. I went with that option rather than the 1G SFP, in case I ever get a faster service than the current 1G FTTP service.

Moderators: Sami