DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Vigor 2766 LAN DNS Question...

• vigor2800btbbuser
  • Topic Author
More
04 Jun 2022 17:44 #1 by vigor2800btbbuser
Vigor 2766 LAN DNS Question... was created by vigor2800btbbuser
On my internal network I have three items which have URL's made up by myself. These are currently configured in the Windows 10 Host file, but I would like other devices to use the names too.

I have found the Applications/LAN DNS option on the Vigor 2766. I have enabled item 1 and added the a name "myPi.net". When I add the IP address for it of 192.168.1.3 (which is static) the list remains empty when selecting the OK button. If I try again the OK button is greyed out. The device is only visible on my LAN (it is not forwarded externally).

I have looked at the LAN DNS KB for the FTP example, but I cannot see what I am doing wrong. Any ideas please?

Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• e.ringrose
  • User
  • User
More
06 Jun 2022 23:21 #2 by e.ringrose
Replied by e.ringrose on topic Re: Vigor 2766 LAN DNS Question...
The KB article (https://www.draytek.com/support/knowledge-base/5151) does correctly describe the configuration.

The Profile name can be anything, although it makes sense to have this the same as the host name being defined.
The domain name field actually contains the full host & domain name, in the kb example this is "ftp.draytek.com".

The domain name in your case would be "mypi.net" with the corresponding IP of 192.168.1.3

If it's not saving it do you have the latest firmware installed? Latest is 4.4.2 on international site, although only 4.4.1 on UK currently.

I'm not using a 2766 to test this but clicking on the OK button does save my IP address after a brief pause.
Are you using the same subnet option for the IP ?

Also you need to ensure that the router is defined as the DNS server in your DHCP settings otherwise it'll never work anyway.

• vigor2800btbbuser
  • Topic Author
More
10 Jun 2022 18:34 #3 by vigor2800btbbuser
Replied by vigor2800btbbuser on topic Re: Vigor 2766 LAN DNS Question...
Thanks.

Everything is on 192.168.1.xxx.

I don't know if the DNS Server is enabled. Need to double check.

I am in the UK so will be running the latest UK version (I am with BT too).

Thank you for some pointers for me to check out.

• vigor2800btbbuser
  • Topic Author
More
11 Jun 2022 14:33 #4 by vigor2800btbbuser
Replied by vigor2800btbbuser on topic Re: Vigor 2766 LAN DNS Question...
Still cannot get it working. I tried copying the KB just to see if it was me (ftp.draytek.com) but it does the same thing. Does not add the IP address.

What do you mean by this: "Also you need to ensure that the router is defined as the DNS server in your DHCP settings otherwise it'll never work anyway.". Is it having DHCP Server enabled in the LAN1 settings?