DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Bind IP to MAC internet issue

• deepblue12
  • Topic Author
More
09 Jun 2022 09:29 #7 by deepblue12
Replied by deepblue12 on topic Re: Bind IP to MAC internet issue
I’d like to use the functionality that the Router is supposed to supply or what’s the point of having it! Think I’ll go off to Draytek Directly and see if they can help.
Thanks anyway.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Jun 2022 12:08 #8 by desquinn
Replied by desquinn on topic Re: Bind IP to MAC internet issue
skinning cats, compromises and unintended consequences are frequent bedfellows with IT or at least in my experience :) The DrayTek trainer did not go into specifics about why not to use it. Good luck.

Des Quinn

• hornbyp
  • User
  • User
More
09 Jun 2022 14:38 #9 by hornbyp
Replied by hornbyp on topic Re: Bind IP to MAC internet issue

Deepblue12 wrote:
I've followed the same route with my Vigor but have come across an issue with those devices that connect through a TP Link RE450 Repeater.
They can see and connect to anything within the LAN but cannot connect to the internet when Bind IP to MAC is enabled! Repeater is setup for 2.4ghz only (5ghz is disabled) and the correct MAC has been added to the IP Bind list but it just doesnt allow access.

Which is the correct MAC though...

See: https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/927/ , especially :-

https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/927/ wrote:
Note: Most models of RE adopt Proxy mode by default and cannot be changed. RE355 and RE450 only support Universal Mode. TL-WA830RE_V1,V2/TL-WA730RE/TL-WA750RE support Universal Mode and WDS mode. TL-WA850RE_V1,V1.2/TL-WA860RE except of EU version could change among three modes.

Part B: If Range Extender is working in Universal Mode

In this mode, Range Extender will replace all its clients’ MAC addresses with RE’s own MAC address! That means we only need to type RE’s MAC address in the MAC Filtering of the router:

• After typing RE’s MAC address in MAC filtering of your Router. You can choose “Allow”, which means all the clients connected to Range Extender can go to Internet.

• After typing RE’s MAC address in MAC filtering of your Router. You can choose “Deny”, which means all the clients connected to Range Extender can’t go to Internet.

Ideally, I think you need a repeater that supports WDS mode , but for interoperability, it would probably have to be Draytek model...

• tomek
  • User
  • User
More
11 Jun 2022 16:23 #10 by tomek
Replied by tomek on topic Re: Bind IP to MAC internet issue
I'm starting to think there's something srewy about Bind IP to MAC on the 2865ax. I've been having this issue where devices lose LAN access when switching from an access point Wifi to the 2865ax Wifi. After seeing your post I disabled Bind IP to MAC and immediately everything started working. But what's stranger is I then re-enabled Bind IP to MAC and it still works. It could be a coincidence, but I'd spent so long trying to fix it that I'd pretty much given up making any further changes. I've not used Strict Bind though. It should be due a firmware update reasonably soon, so hopefully it will fix apparent bugs like these.