DNS Resolution

• jastoves
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
23 Jun 2022 19:10 #1 by jastoves
DNS Resolution was created by jastoves
Hi. I have a 2927 router connected to a Sky Hub using the WAN1 interface with a 192.168.0.0/24 address, the 2927 is serving DHCP addresses from the 192.168.1.0/24 range.

The problem I have is that when I connect to the Sky Hub, I am provided a DNS server address of the Sky Hub (192.168.0.1 - the Sky router), which resolves names correctly however when I connect to the Draytek, DNS does not resolve despite being issued the same DNS resolver (192.168.0.1) as configured on the Draytek.

Routing is fine as I can ping the DNS addresses when connected to the Draytek, just seems to be DNS Resolution that does not work. Not sure if this is some restriction imposed by the Sky Hub and wondered if anyone had the same experience. Even manually configuring DNS on the Windows client makes no difference.

Any thoughts?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• hornbyp
  • User
  • User
More
28 Jun 2022 01:01 #2 by hornbyp
Replied by hornbyp on topic Re: DNS Resolution
Why is the Sky Hub still in place :?:

You're almost certainly 'double-natting' (which is bad). It also complicates matters no end.

These complications could be worked-around - with careful configuration - but the best solution would be to remove one of them :wink:

• jastoves
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
28 Jun 2022 09:43 #3 by jastoves
Replied by jastoves on topic Re: DNS Resolution
The Sky router presents the phone line which is the main reason it's still in place.

Continuing debugging currently as I have the odd situation where iPhones are connecting no problem, one Windows 10 device is connecting and another is not, TV and associated Netflix etc. is fine yet neither my Android phone or tablet is working although network tools on the android devices report successful ping of 8.8.8.8 and DNS resolution.

Previous Draytek worked fine in this setup for years, next step is probably putting the old Draytek back to see what happens.