DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2962 Failover

• brian0286
  • Topic Author
More
29 Jun 2022 20:13 #1 by brian0286
2962 Failover was created by brian0286
So following my previous post for advice I've got my 2962, all setup with a filtered VLAN for the little one using draytek WCF. Works great, really is a fantastic piece of kit. And doesn't even break a sweat natting 1GB with WCF. I have a netgear 4G modem I am going to run in bridge mode to WAN 2.

I notice there are two ways to do failover either through the wan settings or by routing policies. What is everyone's opinions on which would be best/most reliable for my situation?

Thanks in advance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Jul 2022 15:08 #2 by admin3
Replied by admin3 on topic Re: 2962 Failover
Route Policy can be better, it's directing client's outgoing NAT sessions rather than the WAN connectivity - the upside to this is that it can have both WAN1 and WAN2 active, with traffic directed only through WAN1 while it's up.

I like route policy more because it reduces failover time - WAN2 is already up just not used yet, and it gives you more control over what gets failed over (like only having failover for essential traffic) and how sessions fall back across when WAN1 is back up.
It's a few more settings but Route Policy is my recommendation.

Forum Administrator

• brian0286
  • Topic Author
More
05 Jul 2022 14:26 #3 by brian0286
Replied by brian0286 on topic Re: 2962 Failover
Amazing thank you. That sounds like my solution as I want to only failover essential traffic so as not to hammer the data allowance! Thank you for taking the time to get back to me.