Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2865 - selecting WAN for specific device

• paul_riordan
  • Topic Author
More
14 Jul 2022 20:09 #7 by paul_riordan
Replied by paul_riordan on topic Re: 2865 - selecting WAN for specific device

Piste Basher wrote:
In Route Policy set the destination as the IP of the device (IP Range - Start and Finish the same) you want to connect via, say WAN2, and the Interface as WAN2.

You may need to set a higher priority to override a default connection.

Doesn't that work?

Now that I have changed the route policy correctly it does seem to work - thanks for your help..

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• paul_riordan
  • Topic Author
More
30 Sep 2022 19:33 #8 by paul_riordan
Sadly this has not worked. The sky boxes are still going out via WAN2 when I would like them to go out via WAN1 - it did seem to work for a while but further testing shows it has not worked (i.e. unplugging WAN2 all of my downloads work without a hitch, so only WAN1 is available).

So at the moment I have the Load Balance/Route Policy set to the following:

Criteria
Protocol: Any
Source: IP Range
Start: 192.168.1.24 End 192.168.1.24
Destination: IP Range
Start: 192.168.1.24 End 192.168.1.24
Send via if Criteria Matched:
Interface: WAN/LAN WAN1
Gateway: Default Gateway
Packet Forward to WAN/LAN via: Force Routing

I have these Policies set for each of the four sky boxes on my network and I have set the ip addresses on the sky boxes manually.

Anyone any idea why this does not work? Or if there are alternative solutions I should look at?

More
01 Oct 2022 09:26 #9 by piste basher
Replied by piste basher on topic Re: 2865 - selecting WAN for specific device
You appear to have set the source IP and the destination IP to be the same?

Disclaimer - I know nothing about the Sky system, so am relying on some quick Googling....

As I understand it the mini boxes connect to the main box via some sort of proprietary "mesh" system on 5GHz, independent of your other wifi. The main box does the connecting to the internet and then "pushes" content to the mini boxes. The mini boxes obtain IP addresses from the main box but those are not relevant as far as the external connection is concerned. Only the main box IP address is.

So my simplistic view would be that you would set the LAN IP address of the main box to be the source in route policy, and the destination IP to be "Any", with WAN 1 as the interface. see here for example

https://www.draytek.co.uk/support/guides/kb-policy-routing-guide-v2#load-balancing

So any requests from the main box to the internet will go out via WAN 1.

I would also suspect you need to set it to "Force NAT" rather than Force Routing, as then any server on the internet will "see" the packets as coming from your ISP supplied IP address, which you are saying should be unique on WAN 1. However if that causes complications with double NATing or whatever you may need to try the routing option, I'm not au fait with how the system works. I'd go for NAT initially.

• paul_riordan
  • Topic Author
More
01 Oct 2022 09:34 #10 by paul_riordan

Piste Basher wrote:
You appear to have set the source IP and the destination IP to be the same?

Disclaimer - I know nothing about the Sky system, so am relying on some quick Googling....

As I understand it the mini boxes connect to the main box via some sort of proprietary "mesh" system on 5GHz, independent of your other wifi. The main box does the connecting to the internet and then "pushes" content to the mini boxes. The mini boxes obtain IP addresses from the main box but those are not relevant as far as the external connection is concerned. Only the main box IP address is.

So my simplistic view would be that you would set the LAN IP address of the main box to be the source in route policy, and the destination IP to be "Any", with WAN 1 as the interface. see here for example

https://www.draytek.co.uk/support/guides/kb-policy-routing-guide-v2#load-balancing

So any requests from the main box to the internet will go out via WAN 1.

I would also suspect you need to set it to "Force NAT" rather than Force Routing, as then any server on the internet will "see" the packets as coming from your ISP supplied IP address, which you are saying should be unique on WAN 1. However if that causes complications with double NATing or whatever you may need to try the routing option, I'm not au fait with how the system works. I'd go for NAT initially.

Thanks for the reply.

You are right about the sky boxes are a bit odd in the way they work. However they are talking to each other without issue (I assume because they are on the same network and therefore not going outside to the WAN) - i.e. if I try to playback recordings on any of the secondary boxes they are playing back the recordings from the main box without issue). My Sky boxes are actually connected via ethernet not wireless (I have switched off their wireless mesh). I haven't tried the NAT option so will try that (unfortunately my networking skills are not up to it (and neither are Sky's).
Thanks again
Paul

More
01 Oct 2022 10:36 #11 by piste basher
Replied by piste basher on topic Re: 2865 - selecting WAN for specific device
OK well having wired connections to the minis shouldn't make any difference. Just set the LAN address of the main box to be the "Source" and "Any" as the destination, routing out through WAN 1.
Set a higher priority than the default for that policy.
Shirley that should work :)

• paul_riordan
  • Topic Author
More
01 Oct 2022 11:34 #12 by paul_riordan

Piste Basher wrote:
OK well having wired connections to the minis shouldn't make any difference. Just set the LAN address of the main box to be the "Source" and "Any" as the destination, routing out through WAN 1.
Set a higher priority than the default for that policy.
Shirley that should work :)

It now looks like it is working - a bit more testing to do....
As you said I set the source to be the sky box (I did this for all of the minis as well as the main box) and set "Any" as the destination, I had it set like this previously - the bit that seems to have sorted it out is the Force NAT rather than Force Routing...

Thanks for your help !!