Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Vigor 2866 printer won't get IP

• aaronf
  • Topic Author
More
04 Aug 2022 22:47 #1 by aaronf
Vigor 2866 printer won't get IP was created by aaronf
Hi,

I have ran into an issue with my Draytek Vigor 2866 that I haven't seen before in the multiple draytek routers I have owned. My printer a Samsung C3060FR doesn't seem to be picking up an IP of the printer. On the DHCP table it was showing an IP of 172.100.10.107 so I set a static IP within the printer to that address. It won't let me Bind it to MAC. On my computer its showing that the machine is online but won't let me print. According to my computer its saying the IP is 192.168.1.66 which isn't in my DHCP range so its impossible for it to be the right IP.
According the the printer its IP is changing everytime I print the network sheet off but its starting with 169 which also isn't in my DHCP range.

All my other devices have gotten IP addresses no problem and the router has been in use for over a week. Its just this printer.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• hornbyp
  • User
  • User
More
04 Aug 2022 23:17 #2 by hornbyp
Replied by hornbyp on topic Re: Vigor 2866 printer won't get IP
Do you have other Access Points and/or DHCP servers that could be getting in on the act?

IP addresses starting "169." are described here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/troubleshoot/how-to-use-automatic-tcpip-addressing-without-a-dh

• aaronf
  • Topic Author
More
05 Aug 2022 11:15 #3 by aaronf
Replied by aaronf on topic Re: Vigor 2866 printer won't get IP
Thats an interesting article, I'll definitely look at this in more detail. This is the only DHCP server i have. I use unifi access points but this is connected wired so only going through the unifi switch. I thought it might be an issue with tagging the correct VLAN. So I forced the port to the correct VLAN. I plugged my laptop into the Ethernet port and got an IP address absolutely fine its just the printer that seems to be having an issue.

• hornbyp
  • User
  • User
More
05 Aug 2022 12:20 #4 by hornbyp
Replied by hornbyp on topic Re: Vigor 2866 printer won't get IP

aaronf wrote:
I thought it might be an issue with tagging the correct VLAN. So I forced the port to the correct VLAN.

You've just jogged my memory ...

I had issues with a Sky Q box, connected to a Netgear GS105E switch - upstream is another one, with a link to my Vigor 2860n. Tagged VLANs are used throughout.

The SKY Q box resolutely refused to get an IP address, even though other devices on that same switch (TV, Vigor AP802 etc) were all completely happy. Most of these devices are not VLAN-aware, so the GS105E was set to TAG on Ingress, UNTAG on egress. Using Wireshark, I could see the SKY Q box probing for DHCP servers and being offered a suitable IP address by the one-and-only Server in the network - yet it didn't seem to hear the response. In the end, I used the Netgear's PVID feature to force a default TAG on traffic arriving via the trunk port and it started working.

I still don't understand why this was necessary, nor what would have happened if one of the other devices had misbehaved in the same way (but with a conflicting VLAN requirement).

Food for thought, if nothing else :?