• coupeman
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
19 Aug 2022 11:14 #1 by coupeman
Weird LAN issue was created by coupeman
Hi,

We have a client using a 2620Ln. On latest firmware. Wifi, no issues. Wired, keeps loosing connectivity, if client unplugs PC and plugs into another port, gets a new lease and all good again until it drops again. We originally suspected the MB on the PC which has been replaced by HP.

Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this. We didn't supply the router and I suspect its out of warranty. Its only connected to LTE, but as I say, if they connect using Wifi its rock solid, as soon as they connect the PC using a cable, to any port, it eventually drops the connection until either a reboot or another port is used.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• e.ringrose
  • User
  • User
More
22 Aug 2022 19:21 #2 by e.ringrose
Replied by e.ringrose on topic Re: Weird LAN issue
Is there any time pattern to it?

Once it happens what IP address does the PC show? Is the port showing as active (link light/data)?

What DHCP address does the 2620 show and does the current lease length match the time pattern?

Is it affecting just a single device and is this connected directly into the 2620 or via a switch?

Does changing the IP to a static (on the PC) resolve the issue (as a troubleshooting tool rather than permanent)?

When you say the PC gets a new lease is this the same IP or a different one?

• coupeman
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
23 Aug 2022 08:47 #3 by coupeman
Replied by coupeman on topic Re: Weird LAN issue
No pattern that we're aware of, unfortunately the customer is difficult to pin down so we haven't had much luck since we upgraded the firmware, and they do have support with us so we are not inclined to spend too much time on it, plus we didn't supply the Draytek. I'm going to try one last shot of replacing the ethernet cable and binding his IP, see if that fixes it.

Thanks for the pointers.

More
23 Aug 2022 15:53 #4 by desquinn
Replied by desquinn on topic Re: Weird LAN issue
feel your pain on the client that you acquire and they are not quite in support and have a non standard config. We introduced wifi to a client that is all peer to peer, no domain and no servers. Wifi was absolute crap and we were blaming draytek that we had introduced. But I wanted to have a pc onsite that we could use as a management pc to at least have a look inside their network and monitor things for a but with pings.

Turns out the pile of cack was just waiting for us to turn up and change something and then it was going to be our problem :) Looks like their base network which comes back to a switch is most likely culprit. Bad cabling, disorganised mess, and general bad network performance that they had not really noticed. But a wee free tool that pinged 9 devices on the network constantly picked out that the wifi disc was not the only device that was having issues and through a process of elimination we managed to make progress and wifi working fine now.

Having something onsite to have a look was essential.

Des Quinn

• eveares
  • User
  • User
More
22 Sep 2022 21:26 #5 by eveares
Replied by eveares on topic Re: Weird LAN issue
Is the Wi-Fi and wired LAN on the same VLAN? Ruled out things like a IP conflict when on the wired LAN or a network loop/broadcast storm?

Any complicated stuff going on with the Draytek like QoS, MAC-to-IP binding, manual duplex settings, etc...

I would be running wireshark on the wired PC and going from there.

Regards: Elliott.