DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Questions about features on the Vigor 2927AC

• andrenb
  • Topic Author
More
30 Aug 2022 11:54 #1 by andrenb
I'm awaiting delivery of a new Draytek Vigor2927ac. I will be using it with two slow ISP's and for load balancing, one is a WISP with 40/20 mbits and another 4G FWA with 40/40 mbits.

I have a few questions about it relating to some of it's features:

- Bandwith management
I have a PC that downloads a lot of data every night through the Bittorent protocol. I would like that machine to have access to all available bandwith when nobody else is using the network but as soon as someone in the house starts to stream content, surf the web etc I want that machine to be capped to 10 mbits and then ramp up to full speed when the network is silent again. I saw in the demo gui of the 2927 a checkbox under "Auto adjustment" with the text "Allow user to use more bandwith than the assigned limit when there are bandwith available". This sounds like excactly what I want and I'm wondering if anyone has tried this in a similar way as how I want it to work?

- Load balancing
Does the default load balancing mode support "sticky sessions" to make sure sites (banking eg) that doesn't like the IP changing midway work as they should? Or will this work best through setting some manual route policy's or using another load balancing mode?

- New feature in fw 4.4.0
I'm wondering what this features means: Support Multi-WAN and Load Balance used on Route Policy.

Is it so that you can have a route policy having Multi-WAN and load balance on some devices and every thing else will go through a single Wan?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Sep 2022 08:52 #2 by markhawkin
Replied by markhawkin on topic Re: Questions about features on the Vigor 2927AC
While not specific to the 2927, I had a go at load balancing on a 2860 and in the end didn't use it as I had anticipated.

While I had it set as Load Balance Mode "According to line speed" I found if I left it like that while speed tests seemed to add both lines together, more "normal" computer use seemed to act "oddly" sometimes which I surmised was because two different connections were potentially being used for one interaction with (say) a website.

As one of the connections was entilerly adequate for all normal use I ended up allocating different source IP address ranges to each WAN in Load-Balance/Route Policy.

That seems to make some use of both connections while not making websites behave "strangely".

I think that in the event of either WAN circuit failing, this may result in traffic using the remaining WAN but I haven't actually tried that!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.