Reusing an 'old' 2860n as a print server

• chris_long
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
15 Sep 2022 14:37 #1 by chris_long
Reusing an 'old' 2860n as a print server was created by chris_long
As ever with asking on a forum I have spent so much time on this not making progress I'm going slightly crazy.

OK, I have a network with a 2865 at its heart and all is good. It replaced the worthy 2860n after we upgraded the wifi.

We now have a very old USB only inkjet printer, and I thought of putting it on the network using the 2860 as a print server. Before I changed anything I plugged the 2860 into the network and found it under External Device, great - but it was the 1.1 IP address and that woudln't do.

So I connected the printer to the 2860 and can see it under its USB Device Status - Printers. I have disabled internet access and changed the IP address away from 1.1 and when I plug the 2860 into the network I can find it with its new IP.

What I can't find is the printer - and I have to say I have been making up as I go on most of this already so I'm not sure what I'm dong anyway.

So a couple of Questions - Is it even possible to turn the 2860 into a switch *and* have it show the printer connected via USB and work as a print server - I know you are supposed to disable DCHP - which I have also done. But now I can't find the 2860 under External Device on the 2865.

Any help would be pathetically greatfully received.

Cheers

Chris

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Sep 2022 16:00 #2 by piste basher
Replied by piste basher on topic Re: Reusing an 'old' 2860n as a print server
Have you enabled Bonjour on the 2860?

• chris_long
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
15 Sep 2022 19:27 #3 by chris_long
Replied by chris_long on topic Re: Reusing an 'old' 2860n as a print server
I just have and I can see the 2860 on the 2865 but still no sign of the printer

Oh and thanks

C

• hornbyp
  • User
  • User
More
16 Sep 2022 00:28 #4 by hornbyp
Replied by hornbyp on topic Re: Reusing an 'old' 2860n as a print server

So a couple of Questions - Is it even possible to turn the 2860 into a switch *and* have it show the printer connected via USB and work as a print server - I know you are supposed to disable DCHP - which I have also done

The answer to that is "YES", but remember to give the 2860 LAN a fixed IP address. You're going to access the printer as a 'port' on the 2860's IP address - the printer itself doesn't get an IP address...

See the Vigor 2860 User Guide V4.5 (Section 1-2-2 "Installing USB Printer to Vigor Router")

Those instructions use a standard unix 'LPR' port, rather than Bonjour . Bonjour is Apple-centric, so you may need to add support to the clients, if you wish to go down that route. (I thought Bonjour was just a 'discovery/announcement' service - but I am definitely not Apple-centric :wink:)

• chris_long
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
16 Sep 2022 13:02 #5 by chris_long
Ahh... understood, so the printer is sort of invisible until I go to the 2860

I'm deffo not apple centric either - I will have more fiddling...

Again thanks for all the help

C

• chris_long
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
16 Sep 2022 14:32 #6 by chris_long
And the first thing I did was print out the pages on setting up a USB printer...

Thanks all - I've been 'doing' computers for 44 odd years (started on mainframes) and they just don't get any easier... or I've always been this dumb

Thanks again

Chris