Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Very odd iOS 16 client DNS Issue (2862)

• j1mbo
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
11 Oct 2022 14:41 #1 by j1mbo
I’ve run in to an odd issue with Apple iOS devices since iOS 16.

TL;DR - something about the Draytek DNS proxy appears to break Safari and most apps. Configuring devices to use the router itself as DNS server instead of external DNS servers resolves this.

Config - FFTC PPPoE, LAN 1 DHCP enabled with OpenDNS configured as primary and secondary DNS servers. This works normally with iOS up to and including v15.

As of the devices getting iOS 16, Safari works only sporadically and apps like Twitter etc just hang on refresh. Usually will work for a short time after connecting to the network (note, 3rd party Wi-Fi, Unifi).

After some troubleshooting I discovered that the devices would work normally if configured to use the router address itself for DNS, or any other internal DNS server, instead of OpenDNS.

So work around is to configure LAN 2 DHCP with the OpenDNS servers, then configure ‘Force router to use "DNS server IP address" settings specified in LAN2’, and finally configure LAN1 DHCP scope to issue the router address itself for both primary and secondary DNS servers.

The result is that the router is the client DNS server and the forwarders are the OpenDNS servers.

Hope that helps. Mystifying to me as to why there is nothing else posted about this.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Oct 2022 16:10 #2 by piste basher
Replied by piste basher on topic Re: Very odd iOS 16 client DNS Issue (2862)
I have the 2927ax configured to LAN 1 DNS servers 1.1.1.1 and 8.8.8.8 and force router to use LAN 1 DNS - no problems with iOS 16.

• j1mbo
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
11 Oct 2022 17:00 #3 by j1mbo
Interesting, thanks.

The 2927 is on 4.4.x presumably? The 2862 is stuck at 3.9.x. I don’t know if that is significant.

More
12 Oct 2022 08:18 #4 by piste basher
Replied by piste basher on topic Re: Very odd iOS 16 client DNS Issue (2862)
Yes I'm on 4.4.0

More
12 Oct 2022 10:48 #5 by pharcyder
Replied by pharcyder on topic Re: Very odd iOS 16 client DNS Issue (2862)
I run my own local nameserver (PiHole + Unbound) and I've seen odd issues like this on iOS15 too. Seems to be related to the iCloud Relay and Limit IP address Tracking features.

Everything works 99% of the time but every now and then, sites in Safari just don't connect. A refresh 30 seconds later and its fine.