Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Vigor 2927AX Setup Question

• cosmarchy
  • Topic Author
More
10 Dec 2022 20:22 #1 by cosmarchy
Vigor 2927AX Setup Question was created by cosmarchy
Hi,

I have a Vigor 2927AX and am wondering whether it is possible to setup the way I am intending.

I currently have it setup as follows:
Wan1 - BT SmartHub2
P1 - TV
P2 - NAS
P3 - LAN
P4 - Nothing
P5 - Nothing

What I'd like to do is have a guest wifi and LAN port. From the manual, the wifi will setup SSID1 for WAN and LAN and SSID2 for WAN only. This looks to achieve the wifi part but on occasion I need to plug in to a wired connection so would ideally like to add one port (WAN2/P6 or P5 I don't know) so that it only has access to WAN and cannot connect to the LAN at all. This wifi and physical port segregation is to isolate my works computer entirely from my home network but maintain internet access so I can VPN in to work.

Is this possible?

For reference I am not intending on using this as the main router for various reasons, the short version is namely the phone line comes through the SmartHub and given BTs intransigence regarding the phone line, I need to maintain the SmrtHub for the time being. So I need to both these devices. On the plus side the Vigor is in a more suitable position and enables me to connect more devices to the wired ports.

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Dec 2022 11:54 #2 by piste basher
Replied by piste basher on topic Re: Vigor 2927AX Setup Question
If you want to plug a wired device into this port then it will have to have a LAN designated to it otherwise how will you connect? But that LAN doesn't have to be your main LAN - you can designate any of the others available and provided you do not enable Inter-LAN routing then it will have no access to your main LAN. All of your LANS will have WAN access by default - if you have more than one WAN (it doesn't sound like you do if you only have one Smarthub) then you can use the routing policy to decide which LANS have access to which WANS.

I don't understand what you mean by set up SSID2 for WAN only - as above, if it is not part of a LAN (if for guests then not your main LAN obviously) then how can clients connect to it?

• cosmarchy
  • Topic Author
More
11 Dec 2022 20:56 #3 by cosmarchy
Replied by cosmarchy on topic Re: Vigor 2927AX Setup Question
In the manual there is a section regarding wireless setup:

III-1-1 Wireless Wizard
On Wi-Fi-equipped models, you can configure the wireless access point (AP) using the
Wireless Wizard. The Host AP Configuration sets up SSID 1 for use by internal users, who are
allowed to access both the LAN and the WAN (Internet), whereas the Guest AP Configuration
sets up SSID 2 for use by visitors, who are allowed only WAN access and whose access speeds
can optionally be throttled

So what I wanted to so was to extend the visitor WAN only access to include one dedicated port as well as SSID 2 which is setup by the wireless wizard.

The rest of the ports would retain access to the LAN.

More
12 Dec 2022 09:14 #4 by piste basher
Replied by piste basher on topic Re: Vigor 2927AX Setup Question
As an experiment why not try using this wizard to set it up as you describe - connect a client to SSID2 and see what IP address it gets from the router?

But to do what you want to do with full control of what you're doing is very simple using the VLAN setup (section II-2-2 I believe) and forget about using the "wizard"

• cosmarchy
  • Topic Author
More
12 Dec 2022 19:07 #5 by cosmarchy
Replied by cosmarchy on topic Re: Vigor 2927AX Setup Question

Piste Basher wrote:
As an experiment why not try using this wizard to set it up as you describe - connect a client to SSID2 and see what IP address it gets from the router?

But to do what you want to do with full control of what you're doing is very simple using the VLAN setup (section II-2-2 I believe) and forget about using the "wizard"

Ok, thanks for that. I'll give VLAN a look and see how I get on.