DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

VLAN Question

• mickgreen
  • Topic Author
More
06 Jan 2023 14:21 #1 by mickgreen
VLAN Question was created by mickgreen
I'd like to know a bit more about VLAN routing when it comes to sharing one resource across VLANs maintaining segregation between them.

I have a "standard" ISP issued broadband router/modem with no VLAN capabilities at all that I can see (tag or port based) connected to port 1 on my Draytek router.

What I want to do is have two VLANs - 1) for the local LAN comprising of ports 2 & 3 and 2) a guest port comprising of port 4. The intention is that the VLANS 1 and 2 can access the internet, but not each other. VLAN 1 for the LAN is fairly self explanatory; it just acts as an internal network but VLAN 2 is a guest connection which allows a device connection to the internet but prevents access to any device on the LAN.

Seems quite simple but I gather this cannot be achieved as the router/modem has not got any VLAN capabilities.

Could port 1 be it's own VLAN (perhaps VLAN3) and then VLANS 1 & 2 bridge across to that but not each other - I'm wondering whether this might provide the router/modem with a VLAN capability which it doesn't have. Sounds like a get around (as well as wishful thinking) but I'm just trying to understand if there is an easier way to do this.

Are there any other features of a Vigor 2927 router which may allow me to over come this issue?

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Jan 2023 20:58 #2 by haywardi
Replied by haywardi on topic Re: VLAN Question
I use vlan exclusively on a 2862.
However I don't use port based vlans, it's routed by the 2862 out of port 1 into a managed switch.
That's said port based vlans is probably easier as you can assign a vlan per port.

You don't specify which router you believe will not handle this, but my 2862 can/could and is five years old. Additionally I'm currently looking at a 2927 and have no doubt it will handle my much more complicated set of demands.

So which router do you have?

Iain

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.