DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2860 connection question

• philguk
  • Topic Author
More
17 Jan 2023 20:35 #1 by philguk
2860 connection question was created by philguk
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but…..

Currently I’m using my 2860 as a modem/router with Zen internet. They are happy to share login information to allow the 2860 to connect directly to their ADSL service

But we may be moving soon, and may not end up with such a helpful ISP

So I was wondering if the 2860 also acts as a router between the LAN connections and the WAN one. Could I connect any ISPs local LAN port to the 2860 WAN and bypass the need for the 2860 to bother with the login??

In my mind this should work (isn’t that what the WAN port is for?), but I don’t remember this being mentioned anywhere

And Drayteks instructions leave something to be desired on this front

Many thanks

Phil G

PS It’s a 2860N if that matters

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Jan 2023 20:47 #2 by haywardi
Replied by haywardi on topic Re: 2860 connection question
Yes. I do it, and it's fine.
Cant remember the specifics for the 2860, brom memory, you plug your isp's lan into the wan2 port, enable it , and change the setting to pppoe,hay presto the wan will come up and you won't know the difference. In

Iain

• philguk
  • Topic Author
More
17 Jan 2023 20:56 #3 by philguk
Replied by philguk on topic Re: 2860 connection question

haywardi wrote:
Yes. I do it, and it's fine.
Cant remember the specifics for the 2860, brom memory, you plug your isp's lan into the wan2 port, enable it , and change the setting to pppoe,hay presto the wan will come up and you won't know the difference. In

Awesome!

I figured it’d by simple(ish), and thanks for mentioning the PPPOE. That I would have missed

• philguk
  • Topic Author
More
23 Jan 2023 20:50 #4 by philguk
Follow on question

How does port forwarding work in this case? I have a number of LOCAL devices that I access from out of home via my WAN IP address plus an individual specific port

Do I need to forward each of these on my ISPs router to the 2860s LAN IP, so that the 2860 in turn can forward them to the appropriate device

Or does something clever happen??

Thanks

• philguk
  • Topic Author
More
28 Mar 2023 21:13 #5 by philguk
<nudge>

More
29 Mar 2023 09:14 #6 by haywardi
Replied by haywardi on topic Re: 2860 connection question
Yes is the straight answer to your question, but it does depend on what the devices are.

I use Vlans and have a dedicated Vlan for IoT devices to prevent a compromised IoT device infecting other devices on the network. These all seem to magically work. I think this is because the IoT devices establish a connection to their respective servers and either leave their connection open or poll their servers for updates, hence you do not need to open the port.

HOWEVER, I also have a SIP based PBX, This listens on the ports I set (I do not use the usual SIP ports just to make it harder for a hacker) as the SIP provider pushes messages to an awaiting port. For this to work successfully I have to open the ports and direct them at a particular machine. If you do this, you might want to think carefully how you set up your firewall as a lot of hackers "port scan" for open port just to see what they discover. If whatever you put at the listening end you are confident is able to cope with ALL a hacker may throw at it, you may not need to set the firewall, if not set some rules for those ports.

Hope this helps.

Iain

Moderators: Sami