traffic forwarding by requested host name

• visionario
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
24 Jan 2023 12:08 #1 by visionario
traffic forwarding by requested host name was created by visionario
We may soon have a situation where we need to run 2 servers on port 80 on the same IP. I remember years ago a software router I used was able to differentiate incoming traffic through the requested host name (ie server1.example.com vs server2.example.com) and forward it to different internal servers on that basis. Can Vigor routers do this? It looks like the 2763 we have cannot do that, but I thought I would check.
Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• visionario
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
24 Jan 2023 18:19 #2 by visionario
Replied by visionario on topic Re: traffic forwarding by requested host name
Answering my own question, I think maybe it was possible some time ago because with http/1 and before SSL, the requested host names were available to the router, whereas these days, they are not.

• mbames
  • User
  • User
More
30 Jan 2023 17:44 #3 by mbames
You'd probably need some form of load balancer to sit between the router and the webservers and let that inspect the incoming http(s) request and then direct it to the appropriate server.

More
31 Jan 2023 11:26 #4 by pharcyder
Replied by pharcyder on topic Re: traffic forwarding by requested host name
You want a Reverse Proxy - something like Nginx Proxy Manager will do what to want. You port forward 80 & 443 to the Reverse proxy and then configure some hostname based rules to proxy through the request to your internal web services.

• visionario
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
01 Feb 2023 14:28 #5 by visionario
Replied by visionario on topic Re: traffic forwarding by requested host name
Thanks, yes I did come across reverse proxies, and I think Apache has it too. Unfortunately the servers are not actual web servers, but other types of server running on web ports, which I would prefer not to change.