DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2866 - MTU

More
22 Feb 2023 18:12 #7 by simonh
Replied by simonh on topic Re: 2866 - MTU
Hi

For what it's worth, I have never veered away from default MTU in this context before personally, so I don't have a straight answer for you... Sorry.

I tend to leave that kind of stuff default where possible. The biggest risk with MTU being too small is packet fragmentation, this can affect games and similar.

Simon

Sidewinder wrote:
Part 2.

Speed on the VM seems fine.

I have just done an Ookla speedtest though the app on my Win 10 pro x64 i9 Lenovo laptop wired to a D-link DGS-1210-24 which has a parallel fibre connection to a Netgear M4100-12GF which is then ethernet to the 2866 and ethernet to the VM modem.

All ethernet are indicating at 1 gig connections.

To Swish Fibre in London 13ms ping, 898.24Mbs down, 102.53 Mbps up.

Which I don't think is too bad as we were running two media streaming devices, playing radio at the same time when doing the speed test, plus the running apps across the network, I am connected to another PC on my local network remotely from the laptop, and there will be other unseen traffic, I'm sure.

This all came up because my son who does a lot of PC gaming couldn't log into one of his games, and the error for this is common and has been around for years, but the providers have not generated a fix, and it's another thing like MTU where there are lots of ideas on the internet, and some help some people and others help other people, there is no definitive answer.
One of the things that came up in our hunt for his of in problem was MTU sizes, so that is why we went down this path.
We have somehow fixed his access, but I'm not sure if I should persevere with the MTU and if so what to do/set them at!

We had terrible issues when they did the upgrade, no connection at all through the unit, we were told that the 1GB simply didn't work with static IPs, but, I dug my heels in and they did sort it at "level 3" support or above, but, it was a massive change as in they had to re-create our VM accounts completely, new account number log in everything, apart from IPs which I did ask if we could keep, though it would have been OK to have new ones.

As yet, I have stayed away from a 4/5G connection, between the two we have, it's not been needed, and IF push comes to shove, I might be able to do something with my mobile, but it's never come to that.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• sidewinder
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
24 Feb 2023 12:02 #8 by sidewinder
Replied by sidewinder on topic Re: 2866 - MTU
Thank you Simon,

All I need now is some kind soul with a 2866 and stock firmware to let me know what the default MTU is for PPPoE on BT Infinity Business (Currently 1470 with me) & Static or Dynamic IP over Ethernet (currently 1500 with me).

Paul

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.