DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

WIFI WAN

More
09 Mar 2023 17:14 #1 by haywardi
WIFI WAN was created by haywardi
I have seen a number of posts recently saying they are waiting for Draytek routers to support WAN connections over Wifi...

Have I understood this correctly? If so, no one told me it wasn't possible and I have been doing it for years!

Iain

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Mar 2023 10:17 #2 by piste basher
Replied by piste basher on topic Re: WIFI WAN
My 2927ac did, my 2927ax doesn't - does that help you?

More
17 Mar 2023 11:28 #3 by haywardi
Replied by haywardi on topic Re: WIFI WAN
Actually I was probing if I had misunderstood as I have have been using Wi-Fi WAN's for a couple of year without problems.

However, because I only buy the basic version of the router (I don't like DrayTek Wi-Fi, I found it less reliable than alternatives), I found that a £20 Tp-Link MR3020 configured correctly allows me to take even the most basic of DrayTek router anywhere, connect to any Wi-Fi or Wireless 4/5g dongle and get a reliable connection.

So if I can take the most basic of routers on the road and connect, it must be possible for any DrayTek router to be able to connect...

Iain

More
17 Mar 2023 17:04 #4 by piste basher
Replied by piste basher on topic Re: WIFI WAN
Well to check that I am not misunderstanding, up until the introduction of the ax models many Draytek wi-fi routers would allow one of the WAN connections to be configured as a wireless connection. I used a Netgear Aircard mobile hotspot for that very purpose, and have also used my phone as a wifi hotspot. That facility is no longer available on the ax models.

So when you say it must be possible for any Draytek router to connect in that way, I'm afraid that it isn't. ....if I have understood your question :)

More
17 Mar 2023 18:17 #5 by haywardi
Replied by haywardi on topic Re: WIFI WAN
Fair comment and perhaps I was overly bullish.

The thing is, I do not use Draytek Wi-fi routers, just the bare router. To get Wi-Fi WAN working I simply connect the T-link MR3020 into the Ethernet WAN port of the router and as far as the router is concerned, it's a wired connection, the fact that the 3020 picks up a Wi-Fi signal is completely transparent to the Router. It even happily transports VPN assuming the Wi-Fi you connect to hasn't blocked it!

Iain