replacing 2927 AX with 2962?

• wilsodg
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
08 Jun 2023 12:46 #1 by wilsodg
replacing 2927 AX with 2962? was created by wilsodg
I've given up with the 2927AX. After a year of grief, it now freezes and won't reboot for ages - requiring a factory reset and restore - ok for a while, then the same shenanigans. Looking around there are not so many dual WAN routers that have the Draytek functionality so I have decided to probably replace it with a 2962 and hope my 2927 was a Friday build.
Question 1 - they've been out a couple of years, so what's the likely support position (and imminent replacement)? There are 2 sides to this - being older, it might be more stable than the 2927.
Question 2 - can I import the 2927 config to the 2962? When we moved from the 2925 (which was rock solid from day 1) we could not import the settings in one (we had to do manual imports of each category and some re-configuration).

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Jun 2023 08:57 #2 by edinburgh
Replied by edinburgh on topic Re: replacing 2927 AX with 2962?
In my humble opinion, the quality of Draytek (routers, firmware and support) has deteriorated. I don't use one anymore.

• wilsodg
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
12 Jun 2023 11:11 #3 by wilsodg
Replied by wilsodg on topic Re: replacing 2927 AX with 2962?

edinburgh wrote:
In my humble opinion, the quality of Draytek (routers, firmware and support) has deteriorated. I don't use one anymore.

Thanks, and I tend to agree, but I needed to get things up and running with the least hassle so I did plug in a 2962 on the basis that if it did not work, I could always return it.

wow.. 48 hrs in, no issues. I always felt with the 2927 that the DHCP server was not working properly, or not working with roaming devices. In addition to router freezing, a lot of roaming (Apple) devices did not get addresses (defaulting to local 169...). None of that now. Fast upload/download, no dropouts, seamless roaming. I'll try to get Draytek to swap the 2927 but I suspect they'll plug it in and say it looks ok. imho, it clearly was never fit for purpose.

Interesting that the 2962 only supports config imports from other draytek routers (not restore from backup), and the 2927 does not have the config export function. Bottom line - hassle to migrate from one Draytek router to another. But (so far) the 2962 looks to be a much better option.

More
12 Jun 2023 13:56 #4 by piste basher
Replied by piste basher on topic Re: replacing 2927 AX with 2962?
Interesting - I have a 2927ax which behaves pretty much as I hope it would, with none of the problems you appear to have experienced. I have 5 Apple mobile devices included in the list of clients and have no problems at all with them (a few years ago with earlier Draytek routers and AP's I did have major issues with Apple devices, particularly on 5GHz, but they seem to have been resolved now). I wonder if it is indeed a hardware problem or something peculiar to your config which causes your issues?

• wilsodg
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
12 Jun 2023 16:58 #5 by wilsodg
Replied by wilsodg on topic Re: replacing 2927 AX with 2962?
Useful background, thanks. FYI, I typically run about 90 - 120 devices, mostly wired (cameras, switches, 4xNAS, PC's etc.) - about 30-35 wireless. The only thing we do is bind most wired device IP's to physical MACs and we run dual WAN and we bind some IP's to each WAN due to different uses. No VLAN anymore (simplified in case it was that) - mostly it's just straight out of the box. One thing I noticed, and perhaps you could advise - on the Dashboard page, under 'Interface', the attached LAN devices only ever showed about half the number that were listed in the switch MAC tables or in the routers ARP cache. There was a mismatch. On the 2962, there is 100% alignment.

I don't know if you have many devices, but would you mind comparing the # listed on the Dashboard with the count of devices in the ARP cache or in an attached switch if you use any that show the MAC table information. I did ask Draytek, but they did not seem to know why that might be.

More
13 Jun 2023 09:45 #6 by piste basher
Replied by piste basher on topic Re: replacing 2927 AX with 2962?
I don't have nearly as many devices as you, only 30 or so with 15 wireless, although I have 4 VLANS. Like you I tend to have most wired devices on bound IP's. There does appear to be a large discrepancy between the Dashboard LAN device count and the ARP cache - I hadn't taken much notice of this before as everything is working OK as far as I'm concerned.

Sorry, I don't think can be of much help, I hope the new one works out.