DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Country problem Vigor 2866

• msknight
  • Topic Author
More
08 Jul 2023 16:14 #1 by msknight
Country problem Vigor 2866 was created by msknight
I'm having some problems with the countries and I am on the latest firmware for my 2866.

I am using countries in various filters but it appears that they seem to miss quite a few.

I'm encountering a lot of Microsoft and Akamai that don't seem to list their countries on WhoIs; this is despite having the USA, UK, Netherlands, etc. on the allow list. It also doesn't help that when looking up some of the Akamai ranges which WhoIs states that they're "EU" which isn't, in itself, a country.

I've also blocked Hong Kong, Russia and China, but some getting through are Russian ranges, operated by Hong Kong companies. At least that's what the records say. But they still get through.

The number of IP ranges I'm having to enter in order to get around these problems is a bit head scratching and no doubt contributing to extra load on the CPU.

I appreciate that the ranges are in the firmware only and that ranges do change ownership, but this is a bit head scratching. If I could query the Vigor's own table, it may help me work a few things out.

I'd be interested to hear other people's experiences and suggestions please.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Jul 2023 17:42 #2 by pharcyder
Replied by pharcyder on topic Re: Country problem Vigor 2866
I use a Country objects to protect some of the services I host. I use it the opposite way to you though. I block all by default and only allow in the Countries I want. Seems to be more reliable as IP blocks change ownership quite frequently.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.