Route each SSID to a specific WAN

• markpi
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
22 Jul 2023 07:45 #1 by markpi
Route each SSID to a specific WAN was created by markpi
Is there a way to route traffic on a specific SSID to a specific WAN?

Eg
SSID1: MyRouterWiFi1 > WAN1
SSID2: MyRouterWiFi2 > WAN2

I’m on a 2927ac, but I guess any solution would be common across many routers in the range.

Thanks in advance,
Mark

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Jul 2023 07:58 #2 by piste basher
Replied by piste basher on topic Re: Route each SSID to a specific WAN
If your SSIDs are on different subnets you can do it easily with Load Balance/Route Policy

• markpi
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
22 Jul 2023 08:11 #3 by markpi
Replied by markpi on topic Re: Route each SSID to a specific WAN

Piste Basher wrote:
If your SSIDs are on different subnets you can do it easily with Load Balance/Route Policy

Thank you for swift reply. They are not currently on different subnets, but i guess they could be, if only I could see where to set that...
Where do you define which subnet is used by an SSID?

NB I would need the SSID connection to determine the subnet, not vice versa.

More
22 Jul 2023 13:27 #4 by HodgesanDY
Replied by HodgesanDY on topic Re: Route each SSID to a specific WAN
Hi MarkPi,

A couple of factors to consider would be, where you host your DHCP service from and how many access points you have and how they are connected together, plus the additional access point’s capabilities. Can the additional access points handle VLAN traffic, and if they can’t, you’ll have to route all VLAN traffic to the additional access points, losing your ability to connect to the original LAN via the additional access points; as all SSIDs, if multiple, on those APs would now be placed on the same new VLAN LAN(subnet).

If you’re hosting the DHCP service and the wireless access point (with multiple SSIDs of course) from a single Vigor router, it’s quite straight forward.

As suggested, to get the clients of a particular SSID to use a dedicated WAN would require subnetting or rather VLANing which will give you different subnets if you require - and you do, the VLAN will make the subnetting much easier too, of course you could manually configure all your wireless client’s IPs, but who would ever do that nowadays.

Once you have created a VLAN and assigned your chosen SSID to that VLAN, you can then assign a new LAN(subnet) to that VLAN.
In the ‘Load-balancing/Routing Policy’ page you can then specify a ‘Source’ subnet and choose the WAN to be used for that subnet; you can also choose if they failover to the other WAN or just lose internet connection altogether if their WAN fails.

If you then want the two LANs (original and new) to pass traffic between each other, you need to tick the inter-LAN box for the two LANs you want to allow traffic to flow between.

If you have additional access points with VLAN capabilities, you can assign the VLAN ID(s) to the SSIDs on those APs to whichever VLAN you decide. You would need to add the port connected between the external AP(s) and the Vigor router to the new VLAN assignment as well though, and if multiple VLANs are configured on that AP too, just add those VLANs to that same port assignment in the router’s VLAN page.

The other advantage of using VLANs is, you can now use the firewall to block or pass traffic between the two, or more, VLANs that are inter-LAN connected. This will also isolate your two or more networks, protecting each of them from any rogue devices that have gained access to either of the two or more separated networks. Broadcast packets will also be isolated to the network that hosts the device sending the broadcast packets; reducing unnecessary packets flooding all networks.

VLANing SSIDs is great for isolating IOT devices as well.

• markpi
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
22 Jul 2023 14:06 #5 by markpi
Thank you so much for the detailed explanation.
I only need to do this from one AP (the 2927 itself). I’ll try following your suggestions and give it a go.

Much appreciate your help!

• markpi
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
23 Jul 2023 13:23 #6 by markpi

HodgesanDY wrote:
Hi MarkPi,
A couple of factors to consider would be, where you host your DHCP service from....

Hi HodgesanDY,
Just to say I followed your instructions and got it all working perfectly. Thanks again for taking time to explain.
MarkPi