VLAN Setup

• dutchenery
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
28 Jul 2023 16:57 #1 by dutchenery
VLAN Setup was created by dutchenery
Not sure if I am in the correct part of the Forum. I run a Vigor 2865Vac router which is running a desktop under Linux (Mint) (cabled to FTTC) and various items with Wifi (mobiles, tablets). And also recently a Grandstream - DP750 and two handsets - DP720. I am pretty confused how to setup VLANs. Various websites are not too specific and what I did setup according to what I found there, just locked up the whole kaboodle. So, I obviously did not understand the issue. Initially I just wanted to separate the DP750 as advised for security. Has anyone tried this ? Any advice very welcome. :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Jul 2023 17:44 #2 by pharcyder
Replied by pharcyder on topic Re: VLAN Setup
https://www.draytek.co.uk/information/our-technology/vlans

https://www.draytek.com/support/knowledge-base/4912

https://www.draytek.co.uk/support/guides/kb-vigor-8021qvlan

https://www.draytek.com/support/knowledge-base/5429

https://www.draytek.co.uk/support/guides/kb-inter-lan-routing

More
28 Jul 2023 22:22 #3 by HodgesanDY
Replied by HodgesanDY on topic Re: VLAN Setup
Hi Dutchenery,

If all your devices are working as expected - without the VLAN set up enabled, then it should be really easy to just enable VLAN and separate the DP750 (which will include its handsets) on to another VLAN.

Once you have enabled VLAN on the Vigor router, you’ll see that all the tick-boxes are set to VLAN0, this is the default VLAN which will be set to use LAN1(Subnet).
With only these settings in-place your setup should function exactly as it did before enabling VLAN; because every ‘Port’ and ‘SSID’ is set to use the default VLAN0, which is the same as not having the VLAN enabled at all.

So now that you have VLAN enabled and everything is working as before, you can start to separate things off to a different VLAN; or VLANs if you want more than two separated networks.

In the VLAN page, the port that has your DP750 connected to it, move that tick-box from VLAN0 down to VLAN1 and choose a LAN(Subnet) for that new VLAN to use - in fact, again, if you set it to LAN1 (same as VLAN0 is using) it will still work the same way as before enabling VLAN, but now it will be “virtually” separated from all the nodes on VLAN0, this can be very useful when you’re VLANing off a large network of devices and you don’t want to re-configure static IPs before VLANing groups of devices on to a new VLAN; like ‘IP CAMs’ and/or ‘Door Entry’ systems for example.

I imagine you would probably prefer to use a new LAN(Subnet) for your DP750 network anyway, so choose a new LAN(Subnet), LAN2 for example, and click ‘OK’ to apply the new setup.

Then, in the LAN >> General setup page, enable LAN2 (if it hasn’t been enabled automatically) and set it up with a new subnet of your choosing.
If LAN1 is 192.168.1.0/24, then maybe set LAN2 to 192.168.2.0/24 or 192.168.20.0/24 you get the idea.

The Vigor router will probably force a request to reboot after applying these changes, some do and some do not, so reboot it, and for good measure, reboot the DP750 and then its handsets following that.

This is all under the principle that you have a single, direct connection, between the Vigor Router port and the DP750. If you have a switch or numerous switches between the Vigor Router and the DP750, then you’ll need to use VIDs too, if not, then just leave the VID setting disabled in the VLAN setup page.

• dutchenery
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
29 Jul 2023 09:56 #4 by dutchenery
Replied by dutchenery on topic Re: VLAN Setup
Great! Many thanks, at least I have something to try out properly. I did trawl the Draytek pages but I think these are just starters (so to say). I will be back when the results are in and report.

• dutchenery
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
29 Jul 2023 10:55 #5 by dutchenery
Replied by dutchenery on topic Re: VLAN Setup - SOLVED
Well, thanks for the excellent written instructions. It is done! I must add that VLAN0 boxes are NOT ticked even when enabled. You have to tick all the ports etc. Not a problem of course but I think it was the reason the VLAN I had set up did not work and locked the system up. Anyway, by doing it as advised it is working on LAN1 and LAN2. The VOIP phones are on their own network. Next now to separate the TV and the Mobiles. Did anyone say I like headaches? Oh yes, it takes some time to reboot. I must learn to have patience!

More
29 Jul 2023 14:39 #6 by HodgesanDY
Replied by HodgesanDY on topic Re: VLAN Setup
Awesome, I’m very glad it is working now! :D