DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Restricting Device internet access for draytek newby

• jockanese101
  • Topic Author
More
19 Aug 2023 14:03 #1 by jockanese101
Hi all.

I'm sure this has probably been covered off somewhere so please redirect me if appropriate.

I'm trying to set up ideally a schedule whereby my childs internet access for all devices is stopped between the hours of 11 & 7 during school days Mon-Thurs.

IS it possible to do this ?

So far i have set up IP objects for the for the devices (WIFI and wired) by mac addresses and grouped them into a solitary Group for the purpose of restricting them.

In the firewall filter set up i have created a basic filter

Direction- LAN,DMZ,RT,VPN > WAN
Source IP> IP Group created
Application filter set to block

I created a schedule which i applied to the schedule profile within the filter set but this doesn't seem to work after a bit of reading it looks like the schedule with force down enabled only works on the WLAN when applied.

Sorry if this seems simple im new to drayteks and still figuring out the device it has cured many of the problems i had when using my old ISP router and has migrated over to FTTP without an issue.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Aug 2023 19:21 #2 by HodgesanDY
Hi Jockanese101,

Use ‘Force On’ to activate the FW filter rule, and it will deactivate at the ‘End time’ / ‘Duration period’ you have set in the ‘Schedule profile’.

Also, when testing it, make sure you have selected Sat &/or Sun when testing, otherwise it will obviously not work, for example today, a Saturday, then when you have confirmed it works, de-select Sat &/or Sun; just a side note, as this has caught me out before.

If you want the rule to kill all running sessions, tick the box labelled “Clear sessions when schedule is ON” in the FW filter rule, next to the ‘Schedule Profile’ selection. If you don’t tick this box and a session is already running, a film for example, it won’t stop until the end of that session, so the entire film potentially!

Another note, make sure the Filter Set# page you’re using is active, as in, each Filter Set# page is processed in order and stipulated at the bottom right hand corner of the last Filter Set# page that was processed, you’ll see a drop-down option for specifying the next ‘Filter Set# page’ to jump/proceed onto.
If “None” is set in that drop-down, then the FW rules will stop at the bottom of that current Filter Set# page.

In the Firewall>>General Setup page you will see where the ‘General Setup’ tab ‘Data Call Filter’ has a ‘Start Filter Set’ specified, and if you goto that Filter Set# page, at the bottom right corner of that page, you should see if another Filter Set# has been assigned to proceed onto.
For example, if you had decided to create your first FW Filter rule on Filter Set#5 page and that Filter Set isn’t jumped to or proceeded to, your rule(s) will never run.

• jockanese101
  • Topic Author
More
20 Aug 2023 13:50 #3 by jockanese101
Brilliant thanks for the advice it was

"Another note, make sure the Filter Set# page you’re using is active, as in, each Filter Set# page is processed in order and stipulated at the bottom right hand corner of the last Filter Set# page that was processed, you’ll see a drop-down option for specifying the next ‘Filter Set# page’ to jump/proceed onto.
If “None” is set in that drop-down, then the FW rules will stop at the bottom of that current Filter Set# page."

That i hadn't set correctly works a charm now :D

More
20 Aug 2023 14:54 #4 by HodgesanDY
Brilliant! Glad it’s working now :D