DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

QOS for wired games console (PS5) on 2766 AX

• robf
  • Topic Author
More
07 Dec 2023 12:51 #1 by robf
Dear All,

I'm looking for recommendations on what sort of QOS I should use for a wired PS5 on the 2766ax.

There's hardware qos but then I'm a little confused on what to do as the wan port offers upload and the port offers download - would I set the max upload of the line and just enough for the PS5 on the specific port? or do I use software qos where the wan offers traffic in both directions ? and / or do I set app qos for playstation on top of this.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Best,

Rob.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Dec 2023 15:05 #2 by pharcyder
Replied by pharcyder on topic Re: QOS for wired games console (PS5) on 2766 AX
Hey Rob,

Could you elaborate more about what you're trying to achieve? Obviously QoS for your PS5 but is this because you're on a low bandwidth connection or you find your connection being maxed out by the PS5 (or something else)?

• robf
  • Topic Author
More
07 Dec 2023 15:35 #3 by robf
Thanks for the reply!

I've got a mere 30mb down and 6 up vdsl connection and 2 kids who sap the bandwidth when home from school, hence me wanting flawless gaming / video conferencing for work.

I'd like to ensure my PS5 is always the highest priority for online gaming via ethernet and also my work laptop via wifi

I've bound the mac address of the devices to specific ip addresses but I'm a little perplexed as to what qos configuration I should set.

More
08 Dec 2023 11:53 #4 by pharcyder
Replied by pharcyder on topic Re: QOS for wired games console (PS5) on 2766 AX
Gotcha.

Well if it were me, I wouldn't be using QoS. I'd use Bandwidth Limits. I wouldn't focus on your PS5 but focus on throtting the kids down a bit. Give their devices static IPs using IP to Mac binding and add those IPs to the Limitations list in Bandwidth Limits. Set the max bandwidth you feel is appropriate so that your activities are not impacted when they are online.

Perhaps use the Auto Adjust option if you're feeling generous (the system will throttle them up if there is available bandwidth).....but I don't know how effective DrayOS is at managing that.

• robf
  • Topic Author
More
08 Dec 2023 14:08 #5 by robf
That's a great tip!

I'll give it try!!

Thank you for taking the time to respond.

Rob.

Moderators: Sami