DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Starlink issues on 2927 with BT as second WAN

• trojanhussar
  • Topic Author
More
18 Dec 2023 12:47 #1 by trojanhussar
Starlink issues on 2927 with BT as second WAN was created by trojanhussar
I've recently set up a Starlink dish for a client who was having issues with BT being in a rural location. We get a decent 200Mbps connection and the dish itself seems to work fine.

I've got Starlink as WAN1 ethernet (Starlink in Bypass mode), and the BT router in Bridging mode (PPPoE) as WAN2. Failover seems to work fine, I can pull the ethernet on either Starlink or BT and it will carry on without batting an eyelid on the remaining connection. However during the night, it appears Starlink goes down and does not return smoothly, so I've been getting messages from the client at 7am saying that everything is down. The router is showing both BT and Starlink as 'up' but bandwidth is virtually zero (I can occasionally get pings through). A power cycle of the DrayTek fixes everything, until the next time.

I've been over to the client this morning (again) and set the connection detection to 'ping' instead of ARP as suggested by DrayTek, but have been back an hour and already had a call to say it had gone down but then it returned whilst they were on the phone. So I'm hoping the 'ping' method of connection detection is getting them back online. But they are still seeing outages on a regular basis. I've enabled syslog to USB and left a USB stick in the 2927 so I may be able to get some insight into what is happening. But the client is getting mightily peeved because they thought Starlink was going to be the solution to all their woes.

Anyone have a working config they could share?

Thanks,
Jason.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Dec 2023 22:03 #2 by edinburgh
Forget Draytek and get something else. Honestly, too many problems left, right and centre

More
15 Jan 2024 09:39 #3 by ctluk
I don't know if you've fixed this but I have a few customers working with Starlink and DrayTek so it can be done, a couple of tips

- Make sure you are not using the 192.168.100.0/24 subnet anywhere, as this is the subnet the Starlink drops back to when there is no connection
- Ping detect on the WAN general setup is fine
- Change the wan connection detection to 60 seconds (this stops the DrayTek failing over so quickly)
- Enable "keep alive" and set the ping interval to 1 minute
- The last thing I do is reboot the router every day, this might be over kill now but it's working and I've not changed it. If you have the Starlink app on can see when the Starlink does it's recalibration routine, usually 5-6am so I schedule the router reboot just after this time.

Hope this helps

More
15 Jan 2024 16:12 #4 by clivers
Here is a link from Draytek AU that might help?

https://www.draytek.com.au/solutions/starlink-connection-solutions/

Moderators: Sami