DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2766AX VDSL2 disconnects

• robf
  • Topic Author
More
24 Dec 2023 12:20 #7 by robf
Replied by robf on topic Re: 2766AX VDSL2 disconnects
Out of interest, how would I configure the Draytek to work with the homehub? - It is simply a case of setting the internet access mode under WAN to none and put the homehub in bridge mode?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Dec 2023 22:39 #8 by mbames
Replied by mbames on topic Re: 2766AX VDSL2 disconnects
If you don't need to directly connect to any services on your LAN from the internet, then you could just go with double-NATting, to check/test line stability.
Set your WAN connection to be DHCP on the 2766, and then connect a cable between a WAN port on the 2766 and a LAN port on the BT hub.

I use a Vigor modem, so still have credentials in my 2925, not 100% sure on the best advise for a BT homehub and Bridge mode, so suspect a search around on the internet should reveal a guide/recommendation of how best to do it.

More
29 Dec 2023 21:18 #9 by edinburgh
Replied by edinburgh on topic Re: 2766AX VDSL2 disconnects
The chipset compatibility issue is a myth and I wish people would stop blindly repeating what they read on some forums. I've tested with both DrayTek, Fritzbox and Zyxel, and I found no difference between Zyxel and Fritzbox, with DrayTek performing worst.

Your line is on interleave. As the others, I suggest you use a different modem (I've found that different make performed better than DrayTek on my noisy line). Also, you could contact the ISP to have the line tested.

Wet joints are a common issue, and they're not a priority for OR to fix them, as they don't normally cause a serious issue with the service (your isp will tell you that a couple of disconnections per day is to be expected).

More
02 Jan 2024 17:34 #10 by mbames
Replied by mbames on topic Re: 2766AX VDSL2 disconnects

edinburgh wrote:
The chipset compatibility issue is a myth and I wish people would stop blindly repeating what they read on some forums.

Quoted from another one of your posts https://forum.draytek.co.uk/viewtopic.php?p=103001#p103001 :D :D :D :D

"checking a different router based on a different chipset"

More
03 Jan 2024 18:56 #11 by edinburgh

mbames wrote:

edinburgh wrote:
The chipset compatibility issue is a myth and I wish people would stop blindly repeating what they read on some forums.

Quoted from another one of your posts https://forum.draytek.co.uk/viewtopic.php?p=103001#p103001 :D :D :D :D

"checking a different router based on a different chipset"

Not sure what you find amusing here.

There are different chipsets made by the same company. For example, both DrayTek 2762 and Fritzbox 7530 have Lantiq chipsets (Intel these days), though they're different (different versions). And although I found that my 2762 DrayTek performed worse (maybe because its Lantiq chipset is an older version, whereas the Fritzbox has a newer one), I found no significant difference in performance between Fritzbox 7530 and Zyxel 8924, which is a newer Broadcom-based chipset (I was connected to a Huawei cabinet, which is Broadcom-based, too). Obviously my findings weren't lab-based but done in a domestic environment on a line that was problematic due to SHINE, so not REIN to make the testing more comparable! Furthermore, the Zyxel 8924 has an internal filter which, by assumption, should improve the quality of the connection.

Overall, therefore, it doesn't matter who the manufacturer is, but it may be significant what type the chipset is.

It could also be that DrayTek has a problem with its firmware implementation on noisy lines and that the chipset itself has less to do with how the connection is maintained (certainly if newer ones are used); I have no idea as I don't know how this information is implemented in firmware programming, and I couldn't afford, nor was I willing, to buy yet another DrayTek (which would have the same chipset as Fritzbox) to test on my line, having already experienced a poor performance from my 2762. So, it'd also be interesting to test two routers which have the same chipset (VRX518, for example, one in DrayTek and one in another reputable make) to see the performance on a problematic line.

I now have FTTP and decided to stick with Fritzbox because of its more stable WiFi (in comparison to DrayTek), regular firmware updates (in comparison to Zyxel), and a range of apps that, for example, allow management of landline calls, WiFi etc. (the possibilities are great, especially when compared to what DrayTek offers).

More
03 Jan 2024 22:44 #12 by edinburgh
PS Another discussion that causes a lot of confusion on Internet forums is that related to Annex. Should you choose Annex A or Annex B many wonder on UK lines? Many have (personal) arguments, based on some kind of reasoning and incomplete knowledge, to justify their preference. Some will choose Annex A, others Annex B. So, another myth that it should be Annex B! However, the issue also is what this annex refers to... but that's a matter for another discussion.

Moderators: Sami