• ctluk
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
08 Mar 2024 11:28 #1 by ctluk
Failover performance - odd issue was created by ctluk
Hi,

I've got a challenge for Friday. I've got a older DrayTek 2862ac that has a leased line connection (WAN2) and a backup VDSL (WAN1). The connection is configured to failover to the VDSL after 30 seconds of downtime on WAN2, I am using Route Policies to do the failover. The failover part is working fine, if I disconnect WAN2 it fails over to WAN1 as it's supposed to. Now for the odd bit, when it fails over the performance of the ADSL line drops to almost nothing. I can just get a site to load but it is painful to say the least.

Troubleshooting:

- I've connected the VDSL line backup to the vendor supplied router to check it's not a DrayTek issue, the line isn't the quickest (1km from exchange) but I get around 17Mbps/1Mbps - so this looks OK
- I've created a new route policy and routed traffic from a specific PC to just use the VDSL line, this works and I see the same performance figures, so I can assume the DrayTek is configured correct (MTU etc)

So, why does the performance drop to near zero when the automatic failover happen?

Any thoughts gratefully received.

Rob

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.