Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Draytek 2925n - unable to see WLAN settings in GUI

• neil201
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
28 May 2024 17:04 #1 by neil201
A bit of an interesting one, I've picked up a 2925n from someone on ebay, the unit itself is in good condition and has WLAN antennas with SMA connectors at the rear, all good... however I cannot seem to see the WLAN menu anywhere in the web interface, ie there's no "Wireless LAN" menu anywhere.

If I SSH in to the unit and send "WL" commands I can see a response and it claims the 2.4GHz radio is on but isn't transmitting nor is the WLAN indication showing on the front of the unit. I'm starting to wonder whether the bloke has swapped the boards internally for a standard wired 2925 in to the chassis of this 2925n :lol:

There's a WPA/WPA2 PSK key on the underneath of the unit and the WLAN indicator powers on self-test during boot up so the thing is, as I'm expecting, an 'n' version as it clearly states on the front. Could the wrong version of FW have been installed at some point and subsequent FW versions have looked at what's installed and overwritten it? Is there anything I can do via SSH to fully flatten and allow reinstallation, either that way of TFTP mode?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• mbames
  • User
  • User
More
29 May 2024 11:02 #2 by mbames
Are you prepared to open the unit? I know that much earlier drayteks (2800?) used to use plug in wifi cards. I'm wondering if it has become dislodged in transit? That was certainly the case with one of mine, and support at the time recommended reseating the card which then caused the WLAN menu entry to reappear.

• neil201
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
29 May 2024 16:29 #3 by neil201
I opened the unit this morning and had a nosy, it looks like everything on this model of Router is contained on a single board without any other WLAN daughter boards. I wanted to check more than anything that the person who sold it me hadn't swapped the boards over for the inners of a standard non WLAN 2925 but appears not.

• piste basher
  • Away
More
29 May 2024 16:44 #4 by piste basher
Presumably the connections to the antenna sockets looked like they connected to something on the board?

• neil201
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
29 May 2024 16:49 #5 by neil201
Yep, the SMA connectors are soldered directly on to the board.

• piste basher
  • Away
More
29 May 2024 16:58 #6 by piste basher
This guy had a similar issue some time ago - https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1609157

It appears that resetting to factory brought the menu back but it's not clear if that helped....