DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

IPv6 DHCP Lease time and IPV6 IP to MAC Binding?

• eveares
  • Topic Author
More
26 Jun 2024 01:12 #1 by eveares
On my Vigor 2962, once enabling the IPv6 DHCP server, how do you set the DHCPv6 lease time?

Equally, how do you bind IPv6 addresses to given MAC addresses? (i.e. To ensure my iPhone would get the same IPv6 address if I rebooted both my router and the phone at the same time.)

Hope that all makes sense. DHCP with IPv6 is relatively new to me, so sorry if what i'm asking is nonsense.

Kind Regards: Elliott.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Aug 2024 19:31 #2 by the_pit
Wish you luck in finding the answer I haven't found anyone yet who really understands IPV6.

There isn't a function to bind IPV6 on my 3910 which in one sense as the IPV6 should be assigned by ISP as there isn't any NAT taking place. I don't think Drayteks do nat for ipv6.

This fine if your ISP gives you a sticky IPV6 so you get the same one back which is good if you're a hosting a service. If you don't then it's a pain.

I've got two FTTP BT lines and it will only get on IPV6 address on one of the Wans depending on which comes up first.

I think it should get two but BT is clearly seeing is that it's already got an IPV6 lease and won't offer another one while the Draytek keeps requesting an IPV6 lease.

2nd line Draytek don't seem to have a clue and blame BT. I've tried several older Drayteks and they all behave the same.

Going slightly off point but the basic idea is that since there's enough ipv6 address' s you don't need NAT and the address will be assigned by the ISP.

• piste basher
  • Away
  • Big Contributor
  • Big Contributor
More
04 Aug 2024 08:58 #3 by piste basher
Replied by piste basher on topic IPv6 DHCP Lease time and IPV6 IP to MAC Binding?
Based on the current behaviour of my 2927ax I'm not sure I'd bother - it obtains an IPv6 address from my ISP (Zen) but at some time later (possibly a few days) the connection is dropped for no obvious reason, while IPv4 continues as normal. Changing the condition of the "RIPng Protocol" tag and re-booting brings it back up, but only for a while.

Moderators: Sami