DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

286x series routers dissapearing from network.

• boosted_jeep_uk
  • Topic Author
More
21 Jul 2024 21:01 #7 by boosted_jeep_uk
Replied by boosted_jeep_uk on topic 286x series routers dissapearing from network.
Cheers Ian - yes they are a mix of wired and wireless - can certainly have a swap around and make them all wired..

Will then disable WiFi and see if everything settles down.

Today has been a good day and everything ok that's what makes it so annoying

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Jul 2024 20:17 - 23 Jul 2024 20:17 #8 by HodgesanDY
Replied by HodgesanDY on topic 286x series routers dissapearing from network.
Hi,

I agree with all the above points, but also, and maybe why the Sky Q is causing the issue, is a matching IP from a node (or service) temporarily waking up and knocking your router off the network.

It could also be the case, if you have a modem on the otherside of your DrayTek router (on a WAN port), that this has the same IP as the rogue device or service waking up on your network. For example, if a device has 192.168.0.1 and your WAN modem also has that IP, it can clash with your router and the rest of your network devices temporarily cutting off the WAN connection.

192.168.1.1 is far too popular to use as a router's IP, try changing this to something other than 1.1 (1.200 perhaps), better still, change the whole subnet in your house to something less popular than the subnets that get shipped with generic devices (like routers, modems and switches etc).

Another issue I have also encountered, with the 2862ac crashing out, is the smb sharing/hosting of a USB store on it. Sometimes too many connections or too large a file size being copied can trigger it to crash; it's very annoying but does happens; if you're not using the smb sharing, then ignore that suggestion.

Just a few thoughts that might be worth mentioning....

Last edit: 23 Jul 2024 20:17 by HodgesanDY.

More
23 Jul 2024 23:23 #9 by markhawkin
Replied by markhawkin on topic 286x series routers dissapearing from network.
Personally I would have one Sky device wired and the remainder creating their own mesh.

I had a similarish problem with some Apple Airport devices when two were wired but they were a mesh.

More
30 Jul 2024 11:39 #10 by Danny
We are also having this at our small office.

2866AC, latest firmware, SSL VPN between two sites, only WAN2 used as on 300Mbps FTTP Spitfire service.
BT ONT plugs into WAN2 socket.  No other modem.

No Sky, but a Dell server, PoE switch powering 2 phones and one TP-Link Omada EAP WiFi Access Point.
Our IP range is not the standard 192.168.1.1 range, and the Draytek is on .254. 
2 wired PC's, 2 wireless laptops and a copier/MFP.

We did have a IPSEC VPN between sites but I read that it can suffer this sort of issue, so we changed to SSL.

We thought we had an issue using Anydesk.  When we tired to connect to a customer the broadband would drop, so we removed and stopped using Anydesk.  This seemed to solve the issue at a different branch, but not our office.

We have noticed that when it happens the WAN2 light on the front goes out.  Unplugging the cable from WAN2 does not bring it back.  Unplugging the network cable does not bring it back.  The 2866ac does not respond to pings and cannot be accessed via the web console.

Moderators: Sami