DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Load BAlancing on Vigor 3300V

• simongurner
  • Topic Author
More
15 Jul 2007 23:36 #1 by simongurner
Load BAlancing on Vigor 3300V was created by simongurner
I've been having some trials with load balancing on the 3300 routers and have some issues/confusion and hope someone may be able to point me in the right direction...

I have 2 broadband connections running on WAN1 and WAN2. These are both staticsc IPs, with their own modems controlling the connections. When testing as backup broadbands for each other they work great.

The problems I'm having is with load balancing and I see possible problems/conflicts happening:

1) When I set load balancing, you get the options for the percentage of usage for each connection which you have to define - but doesn't this then conflict with the load balance policies in the next section?

2) When setting load balancing policies and doing a test (www.whatismyip.com), i'm still finding that its still returning the IP of the first WAN and not WAN2 as I was expecting, which to me would point to the fact that the policies are not working or the percentage balancing is overriding..

If anyone's got any thoughts or pointers on this it would be gretly appreciated..

Many thanks on advance,

Simon Gurner

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Aug 2007 15:51 #2 by lane4
Replied by lane4 on topic Load BAlancing on Vigor 3300V
I am trying to setup a similar situation in our network without any joy.

I have a 3300v with 2 broadbands running on WAN1 and WAN2 with static IPs. I want to route all office internet browsing and email traffic over WAN1 and leave WAN2 dedicated to remote access traffic only. I havent had any joy so far though...so I'm still routing the remote access traffic via our old firewall which is a bit frustrating since this is why we bought the 3300 in the first place (to control multiple broadband lines).

Any guides on this area would be greatly appreciated by me too....

More
25 Sep 2007 14:25 #3 by lozstlouis
Replied by lozstlouis on topic Load BAlancing on Vigor 3300V
So Lane4 you did a 50/50 split then send HTTP to WAN1 and say SMTP to WAN2 or whatever ports split across whatever pipe? Wonder oif this then ignores the 50/50 rule? That must be a catchall for whatever is left over.

www.alits.co.uk

More
22 Feb 2010 18:39 #4 by orbit
Replied by orbit on topic Load BAlancing on Vigor 3300V
Hi,
did anyone ever get a solution for this?
I want to do much the same as Lane4 but don't understand the % weightings on the WAN page. I effectively want 2 different WAN connections but don't really want the load balancing - just want to send all office traffic over 1 connection and all site-to-site VPN traffic over 2nd.

Found a few posts via search but no definitive answer!

many thanks.

More
23 Feb 2010 01:21 #5 by voodle
Replied by voodle on topic Load BAlancing on Vigor 3300V
That's easy enough using load balance rules, not sure how its done on the 3300 exactly but on the other routers, you would have the first rule with the destination address of the site to site VPNs and set that to use WAN2 - OR set the VPN up to go out over WAN2
Then make a second load balance rule to catch all traffic (leave source, destination, ports blank) and set that for WAN1.

With the way the load balance rules work, it'll check if the destination is the LAN to LAN vpn, then if it isn't it'll use WAN1. That should split it up how you want.

More
23 Feb 2010 08:12 #6 by orbit
Replied by orbit on topic Load BAlancing on Vigor 3300V
many thanks. Do I just ignore the load balance percentages (or set them at 50% each) - its that part that confuses me. Not really load balancing, more just setting a route for each WAN interface.
I can't enable the second WAN interface though without ticking the load balancing box.

Should also say its a live box involving quite a few servers and hundreds of users so I don't want to just try and see what happens without understanding a bit more on this feature.

Moderators: Sami