DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Vigor Switch P2280x (VSP2280x-K) - Fan Noise ?

• dpensox
  • Topic Author
More
06 Sep 2020 13:28 #1 by dpensox
Hi,
Does anyone have information on the fan noise made by the VSP2280x-K ?
Either Subjective (Really noisy) or Scientific (70db) if fine, I'm just trying to get a feel for the actual noise generated as I can't find any information in the literature save 'The switch’s fans run quieter with Smart fan control.'
which is encouraging as the old Cisco SG300 I had was quite noisy (and ran the fans on full all the time).
Also any real wold experience or reviews anyone can share?

Thanks

Dave

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• netjet1980
  • User
  • User
More
07 Sep 2020 07:52 #2 by netjet1980
Hi Dave,

I have one of those units running in my office, it currently runs around 20 ip cameras and a couple of voip phones. The fans are not running full blast all the time, they just ramp up occasionally under load. Noise is not too bad, but definitely noticeable, so these things are never 100% silent. We have a couple older Draytek POE switches of former generations, which are constantly running loud, so the new generation is MILES better.

• dpensox
  • Topic Author
More
08 Sep 2020 00:51 #3 by dpensox
Hi,
Thanks for that, I've only got a few of POE devices (AP & 2 Ip Cameras), but it's neater than running multiple Injectors.
At their quietest/lowest speed, would you be happy having them in the room while you were trying to watch tv?
it's a home application (A bit overkill, but gives POE and SFP+), it isn't going in my living space, but I need to see if I'll get noise complaints!

Thanks Again,

Dave

• netjet1980
  • User
  • User
More
08 Sep 2020 08:47 #4 by netjet1980
If the TV is running, you probably would not notice it. If you are sitting in the living room and have a quiet conversation or try to read a book, you will absolutely hear it. I had it in my study at home for a few days while setting up and configuring and the wife noticed it :p

More
10 Sep 2020 15:43 #5 by admin

I've only got a few of POE devices (AP & 2 Ip Cameras), but it's neater than running multiple Injectors.

Why not get a P1092 then which has no fan at all ? (Unless you need 24 ports for other non-PoE things...). Or two fanless switches.

Forum Administrator

• netjet1980
  • User
  • User
More
10 Sep 2020 19:08 #6 by netjet1980
Or the P2121, which has layer 2 features (I am running two of them in our warehouse). But of course OP might need the ports or the layer 3 capabilities of the P2280X