DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Vigor Switch P2280x (VSP2280x-K) - Fan Noise ?

• dpensox
  • Topic Author
More
12 Sep 2020 00:30 #7 by dpensox
Hi,
Thanks for the replies, I'm looking at the P2280x as it has sfp+ for 10gbe, i want the 24 ports for future expansion (probably using 14-ish at the moment).
I'll probably end up giving the p2280x a bash ans see how it goes.

Thanks

Dave

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• dpensox
  • Topic Author
More
26 Sep 2020 00:13 #8 by dpensox
HI,
I've got it now, Initially it's a bit noisy, then goes near-enough silent, then after about 20 seconds or so it starts a weird pulsing/revving. (which is still not massively noisy, but more annoying than just a constant level of noise)

Does yours do this too or is mine dodgy?

Thanks

Dave

• netjet1980
  • User
  • User
More
26 Sep 2020 11:23 #9 by netjet1980
Yes, it does this occasionally. I am probably spending around 4 hours a day within a meter of the switch. It seems to do it during spikes in power consumption of connected devices (20 cameras and a couple of telephones), fans spin up full tilts for a maybe 5-10 secs. Notice that once or twice per 4 hours work day, mostly during high activity in our warehouse, so the cams probably draw more power then. And yes, it keeps switching between no noise and fans spinning regularly. I filter it out pretty much / got used to it. Nothing compared to the non-stop fan noise of the older models though. We still have one running in our second warehouse and as soon as you enter it, you can hear that thing from 10m away (even sits in a comms cabinet).

• dpensox
  • Topic Author
More
27 Sep 2020 22:18 #10 by dpensox
ok, thanks, but this does it constantly, one a second;

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/z7tkqsccweqmgxa/AAC2q-XVTHCXwmm27RTwSXJqa?dl=0

it's not mega loud, it just doesn't sound right.

• netjet1980
  • User
  • User
More
28 Sep 2020 08:20 #11 by netjet1980
I am currently in the office and went close to it. Ours does the same, it's just less noticeable (It sits under a desk on top of a PC, drowning out the noise pretty much).

• mbames
  • User
  • User
More
21 Oct 2021 08:40 #12 by mbames

Netjet1980 wrote:
mostly during high activity in our warehouse, so the cams probably draw more power then.

I'd expect camera power draw to be pretty constant throughout the day (only differences would be if IR/night mode enables).