DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

VigorSwitch G1080 VLAN Question

• tibblethwaite
  • Topic Author
More
26 Nov 2020 23:14 #1 by tibblethwaite
VigorSwitch G1080 VLAN Question was created by tibblethwaite
Hi, my non-Draytek router has 2 VLANs set on it and I’m connecting the new VigorSwitch G1080 I just purchased to it. I’ve set a static IP on the switch because my router handles DHCP, but I’m having a bit of trouble understanding how I should configure the switch...

I’ve worked with Cisco switches previously but I’m not an expert. What I’m wanting to achieve here is:

• Configure port 1 as the trunk port, so that my 2 VLANs from the router, are delivered to the switch

• Configure VLAN100 on ports 2 & 3

• Configure VLAN 200 on port 4

I’m finding the UI quite unintuitive (sorry) and it seems to be written in poor English in places, which from a Quality Assurance point of view, is not the best. Additionally, the firmware hasn’t been updated for almost a year. Is this usual for Draytek?

Anyway, am I right in thinking that I should:

• Disable/shut any ports that I’m not using in the ‘Port Statistics’ section

• In the VLAN section, create my two matching VLAN IDs in the VLAN List

• On the row for VLAN ID 1, leave port 01 untagged and then make all other ports on the row ‘Not a Member’

• Tag ports 02 and 03 on the VLAN 100 row and make all other ports on the row ‘Not a Member’

• Tag port 04 on the VLAN 200 row and make all other ports on the row ‘Not a Member’

• Then back to the top under PVID, ensure that I have set PVID 1 on port 01 with isolation ‘disabled’

• Set PVID 100 on ports 02 and 03 with isolation ‘enabled’

• Set PVID 200 on port 04 with isolation ‘enabled’

Does that sound about right or have I misconfigured/missed something? If someone could help I’d be really grateful. Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• tibblethwaite
  • Topic Author
More
27 Nov 2020 12:43 #2 by tibblethwaite
Replied by tibblethwaite on topic Re: VigorSwitch G1080 VLAN Question
Here's what I did to resolve my issue. Hopefully this will help someone:

Disable/shut any ports that I’m not using in the ‘Port Statistics’ section
In the VLAN section, create my two matching VLAN IDs in the VLAN List
Untag port 1 and make all other ports in the row ‘Not a Member’ (THIS MAKES SENSE)
Untag ports 02 and 03 on the VLAN 100 row, tag port 08 and make all other ports in the row ‘Not a Member’ (THIS MAKES ABSOLUTELY NO SENSE WHATSOEVER)
Untag port 04 on the VLAN 200 row, tag port 08 and make all other ports on the row ‘Not a Member’ (THIS MAKES ABSOLUTELY NO SENSE WHATSOEVER)
Then back to the top under PVID, ensure that I have set PVID 1 on port 01 with isolation ‘disabled’ (THIS MAKES SENSE)
Set PVID 100 on ports 02 and 03 with isolation ‘disabled’ (THIS MAKES ABSOLUTELY NO SENSE WHATSOEVER)
Set PVID 200 on port 04 with isolation ‘disabled’ (THIS MAKES ABSOLUTELY NO SENSE WHATSOEVER)

Perhaps it's just me but I found this setup so unintuitive, it bordered on crazy. The English is also really bad in places, which gives me the impression of sloppiness. For example, on the VLAN page it says: "Switch ports can only communicate with each others which Isolation is disabled". There are other examples too...

I'd used a Vigor 120 modem, along with pfSense on a PC some time ago and found the combination both rock solid and a breeze to set up. The UI on the Vigor 120 didn't seem too bad, but I didn't really have to do anything with it. When I started looking for a reliable router that my wife could reboot, that had VLAN and multiple SSID capability, I purchased a Vigor 2860ac. I found the UI horrifically complex and had to return it. I went back to using pfSense with the Vigor 120. Then I stumbled across Peplink and the setup was blissfully straightforward in comparison.

Then, I needed a cheap VLAN aware switch and at first, looked at an offering from Ubiquity, but settled on this G1080 unit when I found out I had to install controller software on a PC for the Ubiquiti switch. I'm pleased I stuck with the G1080, but if I had to do it again, I'd spend a little more and go with Cisco. Sorry, but this setup was a pain in the neck to set up and as I've said, VERY unintuitive!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.