DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2820 VPN L2TP over IPSEC lifetime 1 hour

More
14 Feb 2009 17:55 #1 by hjr
hello,

i have created a remote dialin vpn connection on the draytek and use osx on my macbook to connect to the draytek. i get an ip address and i can do everything i want, because i get an ip address in the dmz range (router lan range) and from there i can connect to other subnets on my internal lang using a bsd router on my internal network. all as expected.

there is only one problem.... the vpn connection drops after one hour. when i look at the ppp logfile on my mac i see that the vpn client gets an lifetime of 3600 seconds from the draytek. but i want it to be always on. i cannot configure it in the draytek, so please can anyone help. draytek support in the netherlands is not very helpful....

thanks in advance.

hmmm i did some research..... when connecting via pptp instead of ipsec/l2tp i gen an infinite lifetime.... perfect.
although it would be nice if l2tp did the same, but pptp is second best...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Feb 2009 15:39 #2 by bb193
Replied by bb193 on topic 2820 VPN L2TP over IPSEC lifetime 1 hour
I have 2 answers.

The first is that we also use 2820s, and for 80% of them, we also get hourly disconnects, and it is driving us mad trying to fix it - if anyone has an answer, I'd love to hear it.

The second answer is to have a look under your VPN setup (for me it is one of the connections under VPN & Remote Access, Lan to Lan). Under there, in the section IPSec Security method, there is an Advanced button. There are 2 boxes for IKE key lifetimes (this is the length of time the encryption key lasts before it is changed and the VPN dropped and re-established). If you can find a box like that, you could make it 1 day (86400).

Personally, I think it is a bug with the 2820 firmware - I think it ignores this and just restarts the VPN every hour. But if anyone has an idea how to stop it, that would be just wonderful.

More
23 Feb 2009 21:54 #3 by hjr

bb193 wrote: I have 2 answers.

The first is that we also use 2820s, and for 80% of them, we also get hourly disconnects, and it is driving us mad trying to fix it - if anyone has an answer, I'd love to hear it.

The second answer is to have a look under your VPN setup (for me it is one of the connections under VPN & Remote Access, Lan to Lan). Under there, in the section IPSec Security method, there is an Advanced button. There are 2 boxes for IKE key lifetimes (this is the length of time the encryption key lasts before it is changed and the VPN dropped and re-established). If you can find a box like that, you could make it 1 day (86400).

Personally, I think it is a bug with the 2820 firmware - I think it ignores this and just restarts the VPN every hour. But if anyone has an idea how to stop it, that would be just wonderful.

as i have edited in my post: l2tp ppp connections suffer from 1 hour disconnect which cannot be altered. ppp connections via pptp doesn't suffer from the one hour disconnects.

if you want to use l2tp, then use lan-2-lan

More
15 Jul 2009 13:34 #4 by skotl
Replied by skotl on topic 2820 VPN L2TP over IPSEC lifetime 1 hour
I'm seeing this too, but my VPN is a client connection from an NCP client through the 2820 to a Cisco IPSec connectio back at base - the VPN connects and runs perfectly but disconnects after exactly one hour. I then need to reset the router before I can remake the connection.

I can't try bb193's suggestion as the VPN connection is not controlled by the router, so I would concur with HJR that this looks like a bug.

How do we get this raised with Draytek?

Scott

Moderators: Sami