Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2820 setup

• jenodorf
  • Topic Author
More
12 May 2009 17:49 #1 by jenodorf
2820 setup was created by jenodorf
Hi

I'm a complete newbie to VPN but I purchased two 2820 series to ensure compatibility etc.

I followed the instructions in

http://www.draytek.co.uk/support/vpn_setup.html

Couple of differences, I had an option for VPN connect lan1 first which I selected because Internet access is on line using lan1.

On setting section 4 I have no rip version selection but I do have an option for weither Route or NAT.

In the section ofr remote network IP in each case I've inputted the remote network IP base addree ie 192.168.1.0 and 192.168.0.0 , in each case the router is on 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.0.1

Ok on the outward VPN if I ping either 192.168.1.1 (the router ) or 192.168.1.166 (the windows 200 server) all I get is a time out and in connection management nothing is listed.

Would appreciate any help at all

thanks

Ian

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 May 2009 22:14 #2 by njh
Replied by njh on topic 2820 setup
If no one else chips in, can you try an IPSec VPN ? It is far more secure and I can try and help you with it.

The example given is for both ends on fixed IP's (or at least the dial out end on a fixed IP) If it is on a dynamic IP, the PSK is set in a menu option like Advanced Setup > VPN IKE > IPSec General Setup (on my 2900) instead and you do not select "Specify Remote VPN Gateway". Also have a look at this thread.

2900Gi/v2.5.6; 2900/v2.5.6

• jenodorf
  • Topic Author
More
13 May 2009 23:12 #3 by jenodorf
Replied by jenodorf on topic ipsec
Hi

thanks for the reply I'll try ipsec VPN and see if I have any luck with that.

cheers

Ian

More
14 May 2009 14:34 #4 by martyn.pearson
Replied by martyn.pearson on topic 2820 setup
Any luck Ian?

Im trying exactly the same today, two 2820's.

I have the connection showing as connected under the "connection management" but i cant ping or get any access over the vpn.

• jenodorf
  • Topic Author
More
14 May 2009 14:45 #5 by jenodorf
Replied by jenodorf on topic Me too
Hi

I'm having no luck at all, I have unlike you never even got a connection but assumed it was due to my own lack of expertise.

In desparation I emailed support and they ahve asked me to enable remote management - remote management? Reallty wish I could afford to stick to Web sites and Databases.

Also I'm going to follow the instructions re ipsec when I next go on site and see it that gets me anywhere. Hopefully that will be tomorrow, assuming I survive the rain ;-)

cheers

Ian

More
14 May 2009 14:46 #6 by martyn.pearson
Replied by martyn.pearson on topic 2820 setup
Ok mate let me know how you get on.

Im trying the ipsec as we speak. Ill post back here with my results.

Cheers,

Martyn