DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Draytek and the Holy Grail - Firmware versions and VPN

• jcledbury
  • Topic Author
More
12 Jul 2009 18:41 #1 by jcledbury
After many hazards, a man walks into a cave and is presented with many firmware versions for his 2820Vn. The 2820Vn has(d) a LAN-2-LAN standing VPN connection to a client site where the man provided remote support and was in the middle of a server migration. In the cave is another, very old man.

[Man]: which version of firmware should I choose? There are so many.

[Old man]: choose wisely.

[Man]: but how shall I choose wisely? What are the criteria.... ? I went to the latest version for my 2820 and both sites could see the 'Net and there appeared to be comms (shown on the connection management page) but I couldn't even ping the remote...

{tails off as he sees and gestures to a skeleton}...

[Man]: What happened to him?

[Old man]: he chose... unwisely.

Put another way...
Two offices: one with a 2800 on FW 2.7_E38 and one with a 2820Vn on latest version (from www.draytek.co.uk) could both see the 'Net and had apparently connected in a LAN-2-LAN VPN but no IP comms possible across the path (no ping, no VNC, no RDP). I have reverted the 2820 to FW v3.1.3 / 211801_A Annex A having tried a number of later versions with no success. This version at least allows me to reach in but I can no longer bring up the web page for the remote router.

Lesson learned - Always make a note of the version of firmware you're about to replace before you replace it! :oops:

Questions:
Anybody else enjoying / enjoyed a similar experience and managed to discover a matching pair of versions of firmware?
Can anybody provide some guidance as to how we are supposed to select the sub versions of firmware?

Many thanks

Regards
JC

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Sami