Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Vigor 2820 LAN-LAN L2TP/IPSec

• bjblackmore
  • Topic Author
More
13 Aug 2009 10:19 #1 by bjblackmore
Vigor 2820 LAN-LAN L2TP/IPSec was created by bjblackmore
Hi,

At the moment we're using PPTP to connect 3 sites together. However, I'm a bit concerned over security, and would like to up the VPN security to L2TP with IPSec. Is this possible between 2 Vigor 2820's? Having looked at the product guide: http://www.draytek.co.uk/support/vpn_setup.html it only shows hows to setup PPTP.

When I try and setup L2TP with IPSec I can enter a Pre-Shared Key in the dial out settings of one 2820, bit can't add a Pre-Shared Key to the dial in settings of the other.

Any help or suggestions, especially on securing LAN-LAN VPNs with the Vigor 2820, would be welcome!

Cheers

Ben

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• bjblackmore
  • Topic Author
More
13 Aug 2009 11:29 #2 by bjblackmore
Replied by bjblackmore on topic Vigor 2820 LAN-LAN L2TP/IPSec
Found the following article which got L2TP over IPSec working: http://www.draytek.com/user/SupportAppnotesDetail.php?ID=157

However, you have to specifly the remote connecting servers IP address on the Dial-in server settings. Is there anyway around this, as we use a dynamic IP address, rather than static, on the remote connecting servers. This means when their ADSL connections drop & reconnect, they have different IP addresses, so the dial-in server won't allow them to connect.

More
13 Aug 2009 15:42 #3 by voodle
Replied by voodle on topic Vigor 2820 LAN-LAN L2TP/IPSec
The workaround for that should be to enter the pre-shared key in IPSec General Setup section instead of specifying the remote address.

• bjblackmore
  • Topic Author
More
13 Aug 2009 16:50 #4 by bjblackmore
Replied by bjblackmore on topic Vigor 2820 LAN-LAN L2TP/IPSec
Thanks for the reply voodle.

That seems to have worked perfectly for 2 of our remote offices. However, with the 3rd, I can't set the Dial-Out Settings correctly.

When I select 'L2TP with IPSec Policy' the 2 working 2820's drop down list becomes available and I can select 'nice to have' or 'must' & the IKE Pre-shared key option becomes available. However this last 2820, if I select 'L2TP with IPSec Policy' the drop down lost stays greyed out with 'none' selected, and I can set an 'IKE Pre-shared key'. I have opened 2 browser windows, 1 with a working 2820, and 1 with this 2820, all the settings for each are exactly the same, I just can't set this last 2820 to use L2TP with IPSec Policy!

Any ideas what could be wrong?

Thanks

Ben

Moderators: Sami