Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Lan to Lan VPN Secure?

• jimryder
  • Topic Author
More
11 Sep 2009 14:20 #1 by jimryder
Lan to Lan VPN Secure? was created by jimryder
Hello,

Following the instructions noted here: http://www.draytek.co.uk/support/vpn_setup.html

Can anyone tell me if the VPN I'm about to create is "secure".

By secure I mean "Will anyone be able to intercept traffic and see what is going on between the two sites"

I appreciate that actual security at the physical sites is an entirly dfferent issue and I'm happy with that.

Thanks in advance,

Jim

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Sep 2009 15:33 #2 by njh
Replied by njh on topic Lan to Lan VPN Secure?
You would do better to use an IPSec VPN with a long PSK with a mix of letters, numbers, case and special characters. There are different ways to set it up depending if you have static or dynamic WAN IP's.

Which routers do you have?

2900Gi/v2.5.6; 2900/v2.5.6

• jimryder
  • Topic Author
More
11 Sep 2009 15:48 #3 by jimryder
Replied by jimryder on topic Lan to Lan VPN Secure?

NJH wrote: You would do better to use an IPSec VPN with a long PSK with a mix of letters, numbers, case and special characters. There are different ways to set it up depending if you have static or dynamic WAN IP's.

Which routers do you have?

Thaks for your quick reply. I have one 2910VG - I haven't decided which other one to get yet - I'm doing a bit of research first.

It's for a network between two buildings using a synamic wan ip at one end and either a dynamic or a static wan ip at the other (Again, I haven't decided/may not have the option - so I guess it'd be safest to assume 2 x dynamics)...

Thanks agian,

Jim

More
11 Sep 2009 16:02 #4 by njh
Replied by njh on topic Lan to Lan VPN Secure?
If they are dynamic IP's the set up is a bit different. For the Dial-in settings you cannot set a Remote VPN Gateway and the PSK is set in IPSec/IKE General Setup screen. It is also sensible in that screen to deselect AH and DES. You will also need to use a Dynamic DNS provider (I recommend DtDNS which is supported by the router).

2900Gi/v2.5.6; 2900/v2.5.6

• jimryder
  • Topic Author
More
14 Sep 2009 15:59 #5 by jimryder
Replied by jimryder on topic Lan to Lan VPN Secure?

NJH wrote: If they are dynamic IP's the set up is a bit different. For the Dial-in settings you cannot set a Remote VPN Gateway and the PSK is set in IPSec/IKE General Setup screen. It is also sensible in that screen to deselect AH and DES. You will also need to use a Dynamic DNS provider (I recommend DtDNS which is supported by the router).

Thanks for your help

Moderators: Sami