Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2820 VPN's to 2950 keeping dropping

• markss
  • Topic Author
More
29 Sep 2009 12:09 #1 by markss
2820 VPN's to 2950 keeping dropping was created by markss
Hi All,

I have 8 x 2820's dotted around the place, with 6 connecting via PPTP and two via IPSEC to a centrally held 2950 which has 2 ADSL connections using both WAN ports for a bit of load balancing.

Problem is they all randomly drop there connections. The ADSL uptime is AOK as is the uptime for the actual hardware itself.
Have checked bandwidth and comes back OK.

The longest I have had any of the 8 VPN's up and running is about 70 hrs and some of them reset after 10mins, is there any setting tweak to enable longer VPN uptime. I already have 'enable ping to keep alive' on the dial out settings on the IPSEC VPN's but still no joy.

Any help appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• themilkman
  • User
  • User
More
09 Oct 2009 07:36 #2 by themilkman
Replied by themilkman on topic Keepy Uppy
Try:

Making the 2950 hold the dialin profiles with the idle timeout set to zero.
The 2820 the dialout profiles and set always on.

This usually does the trick.

If however you have the two wans connected to dsl on the 2950 then you could set up trunking for back up and load balancing, setting the advanced option too resume, so if drops it wil come back with in a fews seconds, and should always revert back to wan1 your main member connection.

Also make sure you have the very latest firmware as stablability issues have been adressed for the 2950.

If this fails and no one else has a solution , you could try asking your dsl provider to lower the line profile a little to see if this stables the sync on the line, as this can be a major factor in the vpns staying up.

Hope this helps

John

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.