DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2820 only lets through 1 PPTP VPN connection

• cengizulusahin
  • Topic Author
More
01 Oct 2009 17:01 #1 by cengizulusahin
2820 only lets through 1 PPTP VPN connection was created by cengizulusahin
I recently realised this problem. The 2820 only lets 1 PPTP VPN connection through at a time. 1 laptop / 1 desktop > remote location > same settings on both. I dial into my server with the laptop. All good. Then I try to dial in with the desktop. It freezes at the "Verifying username and password" eventually giving me the 806 error msj. I disconnect the laptop and try it again with the desktop. Again same error. Both disconnected I wait for about 5 minutes and try again with the desktop. It dials in succesfully. When I try the laptop again, I get a 806 error. Oh by the way, once I connect with either, when I try to connect with the other, the connceted one looses internet connection and network resources are not accessible.

Now I'm thinking this router only allows 1 connection at a time. Is there a way around this?

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Is this true for the 2820?

I read the following post in another blog;

my router will only allow one device to connect to a VPN server. The first device to use the VPN connection gets VPN ports added to the NAT table. After that, no other devices will be able to set up a VPN connection. Resetting the router clears the NAT assignation and allowed my desktop to connect. It is not a 100% satisfactory solution, as I would like to allow both my laptop and desktop to connect to the VPN, but alas

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• macavity
  • User
  • User
More
02 Oct 2009 01:16 #2 by macavity
Replied by macavity on topic 2820 only lets through 1 PPTP VPN connection
Shouldn't be that way. Multiple VPN clients behind a Vigor2820 should be able to establish outgoing VPN connections. I think you should check with support to look into it further.

More
13 Nov 2009 20:24 #3 by sontec
Cengizulusahin, I have had the same problem (I think).
Turned out to be that you kan make more then 1 VPN using passthrough, hoever, only to DIFFERENT locations. Most VPN Servers get really confused when multiple (identical) VPN connection are getting in from the same public IP-address. You might consider using 1 PPTP and 1 L2TP connection, though I have never tested this configuration so this might also not woek.

More
14 Nov 2009 09:11 #4 by mdblake289
Replied by mdblake289 on topic 2820 only lets through 1 PPTP VPN connection
Are you trying to connect two remote PC's behind a single remote router to VPN on the host network?
If so it is likely that the host network will not be able to distinguish the two remote PC's

More
14 Nov 2009 09:55 #5 by njh

mdblake289 wrote: Are you trying to connect two remote PC's behind a single remote router to VPN on the host network?
If so it is likely that the host network will not be able to distinguish the two remote PC's

Agreed. It is a limitation of the PPTP protocol. You can have multiple PPTP VPN users behind your router but only if they are each connecting to different remote networks.

2900Gi/v2.5.6; 2900/v2.5.6

More
18 Nov 2009 18:17 #6 by ukstone
Replied by ukstone on topic 2820 only lets through 1 PPTP VPN connection

NJH wrote:

mdblake289 wrote: Are you trying to connect two remote PC's behind a single remote router to VPN on the host network?

Agreed. It is a limitation of the PPTP protocol. You can have multiple PPTP VPN users behind your router but only if they are each connecting to different remote networks.

:evil: Happens with mine as well with firmware level 3.3, just upgraded the firmware to the latest but that isn't the only issue I get. As soon as I use a software vpn client to connect out my place of work, it connects fine but doesn't seem to anything with large packets through. So I could browse the pages on say google search but can't receive a file of 1mb. What really annoys me is my free netgear router I got from my isp works in both scenerios! One was £200 (draytek) the other was nothing!! Arrgh Be good if someone could explina why this is an issue and if theres a workaround via port forwarding or NAT.