Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2820 VPN working but no DNS

• jparrybe
  • Topic Author
More
07 Oct 2009 11:12 #1 by jparrybe
2820 VPN working but no DNS was created by jparrybe
Hi All,

I have set up a 2820 and I'm now setting up remote users to be able to VPN in to it using the built in XP VPN software.

The remote users are able to ping the internal server using the IP address but not using the DNS name.

I know I can do a quick and easy addidtion to the host files on the local machine but I would prefer it to work correctly rather than having to bodge it.

When the users are connected, I can see in the 'Connection Management' that they are on type 'PPPTP/MPPE' and they get an IP address. When I run an 'ipconfig /all' on the clients, I get back that the VPN adaptor is set to use the DNS server (its a MS Windows SBS 2003) but the VPN adaptor doesnt seem to use this server to resolve names.

Any help or advice on this would be greatly appreicated.

Cheers,

James.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Oct 2009 11:27 #2 by gedwards
Replied by gedwards on topic DNS Issues
I had the same problem. First I specified the dns server in the VPN client network settings. That still didn't work. I couldn't ping the server by name, omly by number.
I then tried pinging by its FQDN and it worked. I think if it was on the same domain I wouldn't have the same problem once I'd set the dns in the VPN connector.
I think that my problem was due to the fact that my PC at home is on a different domain to the office. I've yet to confirm that.
:lol:

More
11 Dec 2009 17:46 #3 by jamespigott
Replied by jamespigott on topic 2820 VPN working but no DNS
Me too! I think it is something to do with the Suffix. If this is stated in the TCP/IP config of the connection then it will send this automatically. Say if you look for mypc it fails but mypc.myzone will work. Make myzone the suffix.

My problem is that I can't get the Vigor connection to retain this suffix. Is there something I am missing? :oops: