DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Multiple connection attempts to get VPN connection (pattern)

• thehollster
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
08 Oct 2009 08:35 #1 by thehollster
Hi everyone

Have been connecting to our VPN using Vista and now Win7 to our Draytek 2820n for several months now and I seem to have a near constant problem with it.

It seems that almost always the first time I try to connect I can't get a connection, if I retry several times in quick succession I never get a connection (varying windows VPN error messages); if I wait say a few minutes and try again it will connect. This happens so much now that it seems clear there is a pattern to it - I thought it may be a bug in Vista, but still the same problem in Win7. It seems unlikely that it is network problems nearly every day, enough to produce exactly the same pattern every time. It seems like the router is opening the port but not accepting the connection like some kind of built-in mechanism/process. I have a Lan-to-Lan profile for my connection if that makes any difference. We are using PPTP.

FW 3.3.2.1_232201

Cheers

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Oct 2009 09:05 #2 by voodle
Maybe try 3.3.1.2 instead? It looks like the newest firmware has some issues with PPTP VPN. You can get 3.3.1.2 here:
ftp://ftp.draytek.com/Vigor2820/Firmware/V3.3.1.2/Vigor2820%20V3.3.1.2%20AnnexA%20232201.zip

• thehollster
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
08 Oct 2009 09:44 #3 by thehollster
Hi Voodle

Thanks for replying.

Voodle wrote: It looks like the newest firmware has some issues with PPTP VPN.

Is that based on other peoples experiences on the board or from some official line from Draytek?

Cheers

More
08 Oct 2009 09:54 #4 by voodle
Other peoples experiences :P It seems to drop PPTP VPN connections for me, and 3.3.1.2 doesnt have that issue. I'm guessing that your VPN problem would be affected by firmware as well.

• thehollster
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
08 Oct 2009 09:55 #5 by thehollster
Cool - thanks man. :D

• thehollster
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
13 Oct 2009 08:32 #6 by thehollster
Update: Have downgraded the FW to 3.3.1.2 but still getting the same problem. Have sent a support query to Draytek.