DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2820 VPN Remote dial in user probs

More
08 Dec 2009 08:34 #1 by pzoo
Sorry if this is posted somewhere else but I cant find anything.

I have 2 Broadband connections both with 2820 routers and both set up the same. A few weeks back I set up the 1st one and put a couple remote dial in users in. When testing both users could connect via WinXP VPN and both could send and recieve email via the exchange server inside my network.

Last week I replaced the 2nd Broadband and router with another 2820 and set it up the same as the 1st. This time when testing however no remote dial in users can ping the internal network let alone email from within it.

So I tried to go back to the original router which now has the same problem. VPN connects but there is no visable traffic. Packets seem to be moving in and out when looking at the connection manager but nothing is actually happening where its needed.

I upgraded both to the latest firmware, Both are giving IP addy's from within the internal IP range and both are using addy's that are excluded from the internal DHCP range.

I hope I am missing something really simple and someone can help point it out.

Thanks in advance.

Jay

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Dec 2009 09:39 #2 by lozstlouis
Replied by lozstlouis on topic 2820 VPN Remote dial in user probs
What does the "ipconfig /all" look like on the clients when they are connected to the VPN? I am assuming you're using PPTP to do this?

www.alits.co.uk

More
08 Dec 2009 10:02 #3 by pzoo
Replied by pzoo on topic 2820 VPN Remote dial in user probs
ipconfig /all looks as it should look. On the VPN connection they are pointing to the right gateway, getting the right ip addy and subnet. I cant see anything there that is out of place.

I have enabled the 2nd subnet for IP routing and set the router to use this as the VPN subnet to see if there is a problem with IP address clashes. There shouldnt be as IP x.x.x.200 upwards is excluded from the DHCP range but its worth a try.

Jay

More
08 Dec 2009 15:57 #4 by pzoo
Quick update as I have found where the problem is but have not found a fix yet.

In the properties of the VPN Network Connection
Network tab
TCP/IP Properties
Advanced
Use Default Gateway on remote network is checked.

When checked I can get local internet and so on but cant ping anything on my remote network.

Unchecked and I cant get internet but I can ping everything on the remote network and send and recieve emails.

Does anyone know of either a setting on the router or on the client VPN connection that allows both?

Jay

More
08 Dec 2009 17:19 #5 by paulj48
Replied by paulj48 on topic 2820 VPN Remote dial in user probs
This may be a bit obvious but are you sure that your remote users LAN is a different subnet than the office LAN

e.g if your office is 192.168.1.0 then your remote users need to be on a different subnet to this

More
08 Dec 2009 18:59 #6 by pzoo
See I knew there would be something ridiculasly simple!

I have had previous vpn's set up and they have assigned a different subnet to remote users. I was trying to get this one to do the same but checked and your right its on the same subnet.

Working a treat now so thanks millions!

Jay