DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Windows 7 VPN Client to 2820 IPSec - No data through VPN

• coldfire_3000
  • Topic Author
More
09 Dec 2009 10:56 #1 by coldfire_3000
Hey all, looking for some help on a strange issue I am having...

We have a 2820 setup at a clients site. It is less than 12 months old has is setup with 3 dial in users, all are setup as IPSec with an IPSec key.

They have windows XP laptops for the most part and windows XP desktops at home that they use to VPN into the office then RDP to their machines.

The Windows XP machines have been working fine and are still working fine.

They have no Vista machines involved.

The MD just bought a new Windows 7 Ultimate laptop. I managed to setup the VPN and get it to connect on Windows 7 by setting it up the same as the XP machines but changing the Security setting to 'Require encryption (disconnect if server declines)' rather than 'Maximium Strength'. The VPN now connects and does not error.

So the VPN is connected and I have got an IP address from the Vigor's DHCP server. The issue that I am having is that I can't get any communication through the VPN, ie I can't ping the router's IP address or establish the usual RDP connection.

The bit that jumps out at me is that on XP the ipconfig settings show the VPN clients IP and the default gateway to have the same IP address. Lets say 192.168.1.15 (office router is on 192.168.1.1).
On the Windows 7 computer the IP it gets is say 192.168.1.15 and the default gateway comes up as 0.0.0.0

I have tested on a Vista laptop and I get the same 0.0.0.0 default gateway BUT I can connect through the VPN and everything appears to be working!!

I have tried the following on the Windows 7 laptop:
Unchecked ipv6
Unchecked use remote default gateway
Disabled McAfee firewall
Upgraded router firmware to 3.3.3
Recreated the VPN on the router and computer
Possibly a few other bits that I can't remember...

Now are you ready for the really anoying bit... After upgrading the firmware and rebooting the router (removed power cable for 30 seconds) I was able to get data through the VPN on the windows 7 PC!!!
A few hours later after I had left the users site they contacted me saying that it was not working again, same issue as before!

I have a windows 7 PC in the office and I also have the same issue with no data going through the VPN when I test from here...

Any help is much appreciated! :)

Thanks,

Chris

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Dec 2009 10:38 #2 by samprior
Replied by samprior on topic Any luck
Have you managed to get Windows 7 workingn with the VPN?

• coldfire_3000
  • Topic Author
More
22 Dec 2009 11:35 #3 by coldfire_3000
Only over PPtP :(

More
22 Dec 2009 14:19 #4 by samprior
Replied by samprior on topic pptp
But isn't pptp unsecure? Could you post some simple steps as to your configuration? Particularly on the client/Windows 7 side of the setup.

Thanks

• coldfire_3000
  • Topic Author
More
22 Dec 2009 15:23 #5 by coldfire_3000
It's not AS secure but it is still secure and shows as encrypted on the Vigor end when it is connected...

I just add the VPN on the PC, say don't connect now. I remove the domain name box, set the security to the second one from bottom and changed the type to PPTP...