DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Configuration help - Client VPN connection

• bigmouk
  • Topic Author
More
22 Dec 2009 14:50 #1 by bigmouk
I'm sure I'm missing something obvious here!

I currently have an internal network on the subnet 192.168.1.0

I now have a Draytek 2820 rigged up purely for client VPN access on a stand alone ADSL line. I've setup the Draytek on a 192.168.11.0 subnet. I've configured the client connection to work over L2TP/IPSEC and I can get that connected fine. However, the IP assigned is 192.168.11.200 / 255.255.255.255 and I'm unable to 'see' any internal IPs from the 192.168.1.0 subnet once connected .. assumming this is due to the subnet mask?

The Draytek is on the latest 3.3.3 firmware.

Any guides I've found seem quite old and I'm not getting anywhere fast. Its been a long day and I know its probably something simple but I'd really appreciate any help guys!!

Thanks in advance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Dec 2009 15:07 #2 by voodle
Replied by voodle on topic Configuration help - Client VPN connection
How does the 2820 connect to your main internal network? You're getting the 192.168.11.200 address because that's what the router is set up to give if the router's DHCP server is disabled, you can change that under VPN > PPP General Setup.

• bigmouk
  • Topic Author
More
22 Dec 2009 15:11 #3 by bigmouk
Replied by bigmouk on topic Configuration help - Client VPN connection

Voodle wrote: How does the 2820 connect to your main internal network? You're getting the 192.168.11.200 address because that's what the router is set up to give if the router's DHCP server is disabled, you can change that under VPN > PPP General Setup.

Its currently wired direct into a switch on my main network hence why I've disabled DHCP on the Draytek. Do I need to enable DHCP on the Draytek to do what I need to do ?

More
22 Dec 2009 17:46 #4 by rxt_ian
Replied by rxt_ian on topic Configuration help - Client VPN connection

bigmouk wrote:

Voodle wrote: How does the 2820 connect to your main internal network? You're getting the 192.168.11.200 address because that's what the router is set up to give if the router's DHCP server is disabled, you can change that under VPN > PPP General Setup.

Its currently wired direct into a switch on my main network hence why I've disabled DHCP on the Draytek. Do I need to enable DHCP on the Draytek to do what I need to do ?

I think you will need to set the 2820 as a relay agent and tell it the ip of the dhcp server on the network, under LAN general setup - hope that helps :)

• bigmouk
  • Topic Author
More
22 Jan 2010 19:30 #5 by bigmouk
Replied by bigmouk on topic Configuration help - Client VPN connection
I'm now connected ok, the draytek is sat on the local subnet with the example IP of 192.168.1.1, so I can see everything on the 192.168.1.0 subnet.

I'm using the 'Remote dial in user' settings fine, all encrypted with L2TP IPSEC VPN.

However, I have a VPN setup internally with another site on subnet 192.168.2.0 using some linksys routers (all this runs perfectly fine internally between sites). I've tried lots of configurations on the draytek but once dialed up I can't see anything on the .2 subnet.

The only way I have got around this for the moment is having another draytek at the other site so users have an option of 2 dial up vpn connections (i.e Site 1 or Site 2).

Is there any way I can get this working over 1 single dial up vpn connection ?

Thanks in advance guys!