DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

VPN connecting but not allowing me to access lan

More
05 Feb 2010 13:58 #7 by njh
Are you using IP addresses to try to try to connect to the network devices or are you using the NetBIOS name? If using the NetBIOS name, are all devices in the same workgroup?

2900Gi/v2.5.6; 2900/v2.5.6

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• bigfoot1984
  • Topic Author
More
05 Feb 2010 15:13 #8 by bigfoot1984
Replied by bigfoot1984 on topic VPN connecting but not allowing me to access lan

NJH wrote: Are you using IP addresses to try to try to connect to the network devices or are you using the NetBIOS name? If using the NetBIOS name, are all devices in the same workgroup?

ip addresses i think. all the work computers are in one workgroup though

More
05 Feb 2010 17:05 #9 by njh
So you are connecting using the format:
Code:
\\192.168.x.y\sharename

It looks like you are doing everything right.

How do you know the VPN is connected?
Can you ping the 2600's LAN address from the teleworker?
Is the teleworker behind a router? If so, does the router have VPN passthrough enabled?

• bigfoot1984
  • Topic Author
More
09 Feb 2010 13:08 #10 by bigfoot1984
Replied by bigfoot1984 on topic VPN connecting but not allowing me to access lan

NJH wrote: So you are connecting using the format:

Code:
\\192.168.x.y\sharename

It looks like you are doing everything right.

How do you know the VPN is connected?
Can you ping the 2600's LAN address from the teleworker?
Is the teleworker behind a router? If so, does the router have VPN passthrough enabled?

sorry its taken me so long to get back to you. i have been using the public IP address for the router 217.155. 216.x i have then opened to forwarding to each of the computers so i should be able to map their drives.

when i try to connect form home it takes the password and then connects showing that the network is connected, i have vista and when i try to diagnose the connection it says that it thinks a firewall is up at the office end and that port 80 mneeds to be open to let the traffic through, even though i have done it already (or at least think i have)

haven't tried to ping yet i'll try that tonight.

More
09 Feb 2010 17:41 #11 by njh
Why are you using the public IP? This is dangerous as anyone could try to connect in. You are currently very exposed. Once you have the VPN running you should be using the private IP of the PC's. No port forwarding should be necessary.

• bigfoot1984
  • Topic Author
More
09 Feb 2010 19:11 #12 by bigfoot1984

NJH wrote: Why are you using the public IP? This is dangerous as anyone could try to connect in. You are currently very exposed. Once you have the VPN running you should be using the private IP of the PC's. No port forwarding should be necessary.

ok so i should just use the private IP's for the PC :oops: . someone else gave me different advice earlier