DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

no-ip.org problem with VPN, virgin cable and 2820vn

• lenny109
  • Topic Author
More
25 May 2010 16:34 #1 by lenny109
Hi,
I have a Virgin Broadand (cable) modem. This is connected through to my newly purchased 2820VN router. I have set the routers IP as 192.168.0.254. I have disabled the DHCP Server on the router. The modem I beleive is 192.168.0.1.

I have set up a no-ip.org account and added this to the Applications > Dynamic DNS settings.

As soon as I force a DNS update from the router my no-ip.org account changes from the correct IP address 88.X.X etc to 192.168.0.2

I am fairly sure that I haven't set something up on the router correctly and any advice would be appreciated.

If I disable the Dynamic DNS settings and use the software on the computer for no-ip.org then it holds the IP address fine but I don't want to do this as I want a second user to VPN into the router and then remote desktop onto the computer. I have set this up in the past without any problems but only using ADSL. Now for some reason the router seems to be giving a LAN IP address to no-ip.org instead of transmitting the real WAN side address.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 May 2010 18:30 #2 by njh
The Virgin CM should be on 192.168.100.1. Why do you think it is on 192.168.0.1? Is there any obvious reason for disabling DHCP on the router? Are you sure you've got the CM connected to a WAN port and not a LAN port?

2900Gi/v2.5.6; 2900/v2.5.6

• lenny109
  • Topic Author
More
25 May 2010 18:44 #3 by lenny109
Sorry. I meant NTL not virgin. Yes, the Router is connected to the modem on the WAN port (WAN2) and not the LAN port. I disabled DHCP on the router as I thought that the modem was probably serving DHCP details and I didn't want both conflicting. (I have also tried this with DHCP enabled on the router.)