• joelang1699
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
17 Jul 2010 02:44 #1 by joelang1699
2820VN Dialin User VPN was created by joelang1699
Hi

Ive set up my 2820 with dialin accounts so my mates can connect to my network. All is fine except they can connect and access admin web pages for my devices from their end and use VNC software but nothing shows up under windows network neighbourhood where they should be able to see all the systems/shares on my network. I also cant see their systems under network neighbourhood either. Also we would like to use this mode for playing network games but the games dont seem to see each other either. Now ive been reading that perhaps the dialin clients (both of which are connect from behind their routers) have to change their IP range so that its different from mine. Im on 192.168.1.100 does this mean that they would have to change it to 192.168.2.100 or some other combination? Also a few weeks ago i dialed into my home network on a laptop using a 3G connection, the same thing happened then. i could access device web pages on the network but could not use file sharing. As I was on a mobile connection how would the IP range issue affect file sharing here as surely I would be on a range dictated by the Mobile ISP.

Any ideas?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Jul 2010 07:46 #2 by njh
Replied by njh on topic 2820VN Dialin User VPN
For the sake of ease, I suggest you change the subnet you are using. 192.168.1.0/24 is very common for domestic routers, so if you are expecting other people to dial in, it would be easiest it you changed yours. Otherwise every time you want someone else to connect you may have to get them to change their end. Keep clear of 192.168.0.0/24, 192.168.1.0/24, 192.168.10.0/24 and 192.168.100.0/24.

Network neighbourhood may be able to work across a PPTP VPN - I'm not sure. What will work is using the machine's IP address so to connect, you could type into the run box
Code:
\\192.168.a.b\sharename

If your friends are going to share your files, I suggest you use the Bind IP to MAC facility in the router so your PC always gets the same IP address.

2900Gi/v2.5.6; 2900/v2.5.6

• joelang1699
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
22 Jul 2010 02:58 #3 by joelang1699
Replied by joelang1699 on topic 2820VN Dialin User VPN
Thanks for the reply mate.

Okay we managed to connect using L2TP as none of the others would work for some strange reason (possibly a windows 7 thing) and they could both access my servers (static) public share via //200.200.2.220/Public which is good news. I did note however you couldn't actually browse the network neighbourhood which is fine as its not needed. Not had the change to test getting a network game to connect yet but I don't see any reason why it wouldn't seen as Hamachi/Tunngle VPN clients are doing the same job. I need the VPN to support UDP and TCP packets.

Ive only tried this with one person so far after setting my subnet to 200.200.*.*, does this now mean that any number of teleworkers can now dial in to the network even thought (for example) they are all on a default subnet of 192.168.*.*?

• joelang1699
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
23 Jul 2010 03:55 #4 by joelang1699
Replied by joelang1699 on topic 2820VN Dialin User VPN
Had three teleworkers dial in succesfully all went well, we could even see each others systems under network neighbourhood! However no joy as far as setting up network games. The games couldnt see each other at all despite choosing the VPNs subnet address.

Dont know where to go from here.