DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Establishing L2TP over IPSec connection is slow

• alistairlow
  • Topic Author
More
29 Jul 2010 12:32 #1 by alistairlow
Hi,

I'm having a strange issue with L2TP over IPSec, that I hope someone else has experienced and can advise on. If I connect to my office VPN, hosted on our Draytek Vigor 2820, from my Windows 7 laptop then it takes ages to complete the connection. In the Windows VPN client, the final stage "Registering your computer on the network..." takes several seconds to complete, then several minutes further after that dialog has disappeared before the connection is usable.

Is this normal behaviour? Once the connection is up and working it's completely stable and fast (I had to lower the MTU on the client side to get to that state). If I connect via PPTP instead of L2TP/IPSec the connection is up and working almost instantly.

Does anyone have any advice on this?

Thanks,
Alistair Low

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Feb 2011 19:01 #2 by simondurrant
Replied by simondurrant on topic 2820 VPN
Hi Alistair,
I have no problem with the speed of acquiring the VPN but I can't for the life of me get LAN access when it's connected. How did you do it? I have looked an very many forum posts on this site and tried all the various advice but to no avail. After all, what's the point of a VPN connection if you can't browse and connect to a share?

Any config advice most appreciated,
Simon

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.