• wrightclick
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
24 Aug 2010 13:15 #1 by wrightclick
Vigor V3300+ / RADIUS / DHCP / DNS query was created by wrightclick
Hi,

I installed a Vigor V3300+ for one of my customers back in May, with 3 ADSL modems connected to the WAN ports. That bit all works fine.

They have remote users who use the standard Windows VPN client to connect into the office network. The Vigor's PPTP and L2TP settings are configured to use RADIUS authentication, which talks to IAS on the Windows 2003 server in the office. The DNS server address in the PPTP and L2TP settings is set to the IP address (10.0.1.1) of the Windows 2003 server in the office. All of that also works fine.

The office network uses addresses in the 10.0.1.x range.

The part which doesn't work is printing from Terminal Services sessions, to the remote workers' printers, although the printers appear in the Printers and Faxes control panel ok.

I think I've found the cause of the problem, in that the IP addresses assigned to the remote workers are assigned by a DHCP server in the Vigor, which doesn't update the Windows 2003 server's DNS records. Consequently a lookup of, say "laptop15.my.domain" or "laptop15" fails, whereas this used to work when we only had one ADSL connection and the Windows 2003 server was the VPN endpoint.

Is there a way to configure the L2TP and PPTP settings so that the Windows 2003 DHCP server is used, instead of the Vigor's own? At the moment, Group A is set to assign 10.0.2.1/24 addresses to the clients.

Many thanks,

Richard Wright

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.